Wellington, a W. central county of Ontario, Canada, drained by Grand river; area, 1,278 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 63,289, of whom 23,981 were of Irish, 18,557 of Scotch, 16,385 of English, and 3,134 of German origin or descent. It is traversed by the Grand Trunk and the Wellington, Grey, and Bruce railroads. Capital, Guelph.
Wellington, a seaport city of New Zealand, capital of a province of the same name comprising the S. part of North island, and since 1865 of the colony, on Lambton harbor, an inlet of Cook's strait, 78 m. (150 m. by water) E. of Nelson; pop. in 1875, 10,507. It was the first settlement of the New Zealand company (1839-40), its fine harbor, Port Nicholson, giving it great advantages. The principal buildings are the government house, houses of legislature, and cathedral. It is an Anglican and a Roman Catholic see, and there are 14 churches, a colonial museum, botanic garden, theatre, masonic and odd fellows' halls, gas and water works, three banks, and a weekly and two daily newspapers. The town is connected by railway with Upper Hutt, 18 m. distant. The principal exports are wool, tallow, timber, and gum.