West Chester, a borough and the county seat of Chester co., Pennsylvania, situated on the dividing ridge between Brandywine and Chester creeks, 23 m. W. of Philadelphia; pop. in 1870, 5,630. It is surrounded by one of the finest agricultural regions in the Union, has a handsome granite court house, 110 ft. long by 60 ft. wide, and is noted for its elegant public and private buildings. The bank of Chester county is of white marble, a copy of the Doric portico in the market place at Athens. The Episcopal church is in the English Gothic style, built of green serpentine. The houses are built principally of brick, and as well as the streets are lighted with gas. Two railroads connect the place with Philadelphia. It contains two manufactories of agricultural implements, extensive spoke and wheel works with a European reputation, a state normal school, 11 other schools, a cabinet of natural sciences founded in 1826, two public libraries, the agricultural grounds and buildings of Chester co., three newspaper offices publishing a daily, a semi-weekly, and two weekly newspapers, and 10 churches, viz.: 3 Baptist, 1 Episcopal, 2 Friends', 2 Methodist, 1 Presbyterian, and 1 Roman Catholic. It was established as the county seat in 1786.