Westchester, a S. E. county of New York, bordering on Connecticut and Long Island sound, bounded W. by the Hudson river, and drained by the Croton and Bronx rivers; area, about 500 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 131,348. By an act of 1873 a portion of the S. part was annexed to New York city, and in 1875 the population of the county was 100,660. Several ridges of hills extend N. and S. through the county. Stock growing, gardening, and fruit raising are among the chief occupations. Extensive quarries of marble are found near Sing Sing, and there are several mineral springs. It is traversed by the Hudson River, the Harlem, and the New York and New Haven railroads. The chief productions in 1870 were 23,757 bushels of wheat, 31,457 of rye, 263,211 of Indian corn, 196,846 of oats, 425,626 of potatoes, 430,737 lbs. of butter, 6,479 of wool, and 66,551 tons of hay. There were on farms 5,828 horses, 17,321 milch cows, 5,904 other cattle, 2,391 sheep, and 6,383 swine. The whole number of manufactories was 567, having an aggregate capital of $8,464,058; value of products, $15,828,372. The most important were 3 of agricultural implements, 10 of boots and shoes, 29 of bricks, 1 of carpets, 33 of carriages and wagons, 14 of clothing, 2 of cotton goods, 2 of cutlery and edge tools, 3 of files, 17 of furniture, 3 of hats and caps, 1 of India-rubber and elastic goods, 17 of iron, forged, cast, etc, 4 of lime, 5 of machinery, 1 of molasses and sugar refined, 3 of preserves and sauces, 20 of saddlery and harness, 17 of sasii, doors, and blinds, 1 of sewing machines, 1 bleaching and dyeing establishment, 5 flour mills, 19 breweries, 3 planing mills, and 7 saw mills.
Capital, White Plains.