A N. W. County Of North Carolina, intersected by the Yadkin river; area, 864 sq. m.; pop. in 1870,15,539, of whom 1,662 were colored. The Blue Ridge extends along the N. W. border, and the surface is diversified by mountains and valleys. The soil of the latter is very fertile, and that of the mountains is well adapted to pasturage. There is a great abundance of iron ore, and bituminous coal is found. The chief productions in 1870 were 24,134 bushels of wheat, 21,774 of rye, 202,590 of Indian corn, 42,691 of oats, 16,460 of Irish and 12,726 of sweet potatoes, 77,397 lbs. of butter, 12,040 of wool, and 32,238 of tobacco. There were 1,529 horses, 3,318 milch cows, 5,843 other cattle, 8,352 sheep, and 16,027 swine. Capital, Wilkesborough.
A N. E. County Of Georgia, bounded N. by Broad river and S. by Little river, and drained by their branches; area, 550 sq.m.; pop. in 1870,11,796, of whom 7,827 were colored. The surface is undulating and the soil only moderately fertile. Iron ore, granite, and quartz are found. A branch of the Georgia railroad terminates at the county seat. The chief productions in 1870 were 22,867 bushels of wheat, 171,378 of Indian corn, 37,742 of oats, 16,970 of sweet potatoes, 79,469 lbs. of butter, 5,598 of wool, and 6,882 bales of cotton. There were 1,109 horses, 1,011 mules and asses, 2,237 milch cows, 4,731 other cattle, 3,487 sheep, and 9,436 swine. Capital, Washington.