Williamsport, a city and the county seat of Lycoming co., Pennsylvania, on the N. bank of the West branch of the Susquehanna river, between Lycoming and Loyalsock creeks, 70 m. N. by W. of Harrisburg; pop. in 1870, 16,030. It is surrounded by high hills and much fine scenery. The streets are wide and straight, lighted with gas, and traversed by horse cars. The business quarter is substantially built, and numerous handsome residences and gardens make the place very attractive. It owes its prosperity to the lumber business. The Susquehanna boom extends from 3 to 4 m. up the river, and in spring is filled with pine and hemlock logs. The annual shipments of lumber average about 250,000,000 ft. The West Branch canal passes through the city, and the Philadelphia and Erie, the Northern Central, and the Catawissa and Williamsport railroads meet here. There are numerous saw mills, several planing mills, machine shops, and f ounderies, and manufactories of saws, files, carriages, locks, soap and candles, ale and beer, shingle machines, etc. The city contains six national banks, with an aggregate capital of $784,950; a savings bank; a home for the friendless; nine public school houses, with graded schools, including a high school, attended by about 3,500 pupils; and two academies.
Two daily, one semi-weekly (German), and six weekly (two German) newspapers are published. There are 32 churches, viz.: 5 Baptist, 1 Congregational, 3 Episcopal, 3 Evangelical, 1 Jewish, 4 Lutheran, 8 Methodist, 4 Presbyterian, 1 Reformed, and 2 Roman Catholic. Sessions of the United States courts for the W. district of Pennsylvania are held here twice a year. - Wijliamsport was settled in 1797, incorporated as a borough in 1806, and received a city charter in 1866.