Wilson, the name of four counties in the United States.
A N. E. County Of North Carolina, drained by the Mackason river; area, about 550 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 12,258, of whom 5,073 were colored. The surface is undulating or hilly, and the soil fertile. It is intersected by the Wilmington and Weldon railroad. The chief productions in 1870 were 8,690 bushels of wheat, 212,770 of Indian corn, 10.588 of oats, 12,288 of peas and beans, 36,352 of sweet potatoes, 5,225 bales of cotton, and 1,854 tons of hay. There were 481 horses, 1,141 milch cows, 2,561 other cattle, 2,176 sheep, and 9,403 swine; 2 manufactories of agricultural implements, 9 of carriages and wagons, 1 of pumps, 1 flour mill, and 2 saw mills. Capital, Wilson. H. A S. county of Texas, drained by San Antonio river and Cibolo creek; area, 670 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 2,556, of whom 463 were colored. The surface is hilly and the soil productive. There is little timber except along the streams. The chief productions in 1870 were 52,712 bushels of Indian corn, 12,116 of sweet potatoes, 34,410 lbs. of butter, and 358 bales of cotton. There were 5,481 horses, 2,619 milch cows, 17,829 other cattle, and 7,771 swine.
A N. Central County Of Tennessee, bounded N. by the Cumberland river; area, about 500 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 25,881, of whom 7,331 were colored. The surface is moderately hilly and the soil extremely fertile. The Tennessee and Pacific railroad terminates at the county seat. The chief productions in 1870 were 241,715 bushels of wheat, 1,173,201 of Indian corn, 151,067 of oats, 25,945 of Irish and 33,362 of sweet potatoes, 399,249 lbs. of butter, 36,854 of wool, 332,901 of tobacco, 1,205 bales of cotton, and 5,850 tons of hay. There were 9,682 horses, 4,150 mules and asses, 5,185 milch cows, 7,983 other cattle, 24,023 sheep, and 48,708 swine; 20 manufactories of carriages and wagons, 6 of furniture, 8 woolcarding and cloth-dressing establishments, 4 flour mills, 1 woollen mill, and 10 saw mills. Capital, Lebanon.
A S. E. County Of Kansas, intersected by Verdigris and Fall rivers; area, 576 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 6,694; in 1875, 9,750. The river bottoms are fertile, and the uplands afford good pasturage. It is well wooded, and contains beds of coal and salt springs. The chief productions in 1870 were 24,584 bushels of wheat, 126,795 of Indian corn, 24,578 of oats, 12,112 of potatoes, 52,720 lbs. of butter, and 5,583 tons of hay. There were 1,210 horses, 1,597 milch cows, 3,299 other cattle, 2,368 sheep, and 1,865 swine, and 9 saw mills. Capital, Fredonia.
A Scottish Author John, popularly known as Christopher North, born in Paisley, May 19, 1785, died in Edinburgh, April 3, 1854. He was educated at Glasgow university and at Oxford, where in 1803 he gained the Newdigate prize for an English poem " On the Study of Greek and Roman Architecture." He was the boldest rider, the stoutest oarsman, and the most indefatigable walker among his contemporaries, and frequently distinguished himself in the " gown and town " riots. Ho graduated B. A. in 1807, and soon afterward purchased a small estate called Elleray on Lake Windermere, in Westmoreland, in the immediate vicinity of the residence of Wordsworth, where he lived two years. He married in 1811,. and in 1812 published "The Isle of Palms," a poem of the lake school, abounding in glowing descriptions of tropical scenery. In 1815 he was admitted to the Scottish bar, at which however his practice was only nominal.. In 1816 appeared his "City of the Plague," a dramatic. poem on the great plague of London in 1665. He was one of the chief contributors to " Blackwood's Edinburgh Magazine " from its first appearance in 1817, writing tales, criticisms, and discursive essays which greatly promoted its popularity.
In 1820, through the efforts of Scott and other influential friends, he was appointed professor of moral philosophy in the university of Edinburgh, as successor of Dr. Thomas Brown; and for the next 30 years he lectured to large classes. In 1822 he published " Lights and Shadows of Scottish Life," a collection of tales, in 1823 "The Trials of Margaret Lyndsay," and in 1824 "The Foresters." He acquired his greatest reputation as the chief author of the "Noctes Ambrosiana?," contributed to " Blackwood " between 1822 and 1835; and his pseudonyme of "Christopher North," adopted in connection with these amusing papers, became almost as widely known as Lis own proper name. A complete edition, containing "Christopher in the Tent," contributed by Wilson to "Blackwood " in 1819, and which forms a prelude to the "Noctes," was published in New York by R. Shelton Mackenzie, with biographical notices and numerous notes (5 vols., 1857; revised ed., 1863). In 1841 he published an elaborate "Essay on the Genius and Character of Burns;" in 1842 "The Recreations of Christopher North," comprising selections from his contributions to " Blackwood;" and between June, 1849, and September, 1852, he wrote the series entitled "Dies Boreales, or Christopher under Canvas." In 1851 he was smitten with paralysis, and was obliged to resign his professorship.
The crown soon after granted him a literary pension of £300. A bronze statue of Wilson, of heroic size, executed by Steel, has been erected in the Princess street gardens, Edinburgh. His works have been edited in 12 vols, by his son-in-law, Professor Ferrier; and a memoir from family papers, with a selection from his correspondence, by his daughter, Mrs. Gordon (2 vols., Edinburgh, 1862).
James, a Scottish naturalist, brother of the preceding, born in Paisley in 1795, died near Edinburgh, May 18, 1856. He wrote the articles on natural history for the seventh edition of the " Encyclopaedia Britannica," and revised and extended them for the eighth. He also published " A Voyage round the Coasts of Scotland and the Isles " (2 vols., 1842) and " Illustrations of Scripture by an Animal Painter." Dr. Hamilton of London published a memoir of him in 1859.