Windsor, a S. E. county of Vermont, separated from New Hampshire by the Connecticut river; area, 900 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 36,063. It is mountainous on the W. border and hilly in other parts, and the soil is fertile. Granite, limestone, and soapstone are abundant. The county is traversed by the Vermont Central and the Connecticut and Passumpsic Rivers railroads. The chief productions in 1870 were 36,901 bushels of wheat, 278,736 of Indian corn, 283,740 of oats, 39,823 of buckwheat, 439,416 of potatoes, 1,083,207 lbs. of butter, 602,818 of wool, 788,558 of maple sugar, and 111,511 tons of hay. There were 7,334 horses, 13,864 milch cows, 19,419 other cattle, 117,277 sheep, and 4,815 swine. The whole number of manufacturing establishments was 467, having an aggregate capital of $2,569,990; value of products, $3,759,271. The most important were 11 manufactories of agricultural implements, 17 of carriages and wagons, 2 of cotton goods, 13 of furniture, 4 of lime, 4 of machinery, 15 of saddlery and harness, 2 of shoe pegs, 2 of wooden ware, 12 of woollens, 1 blast furnace, 3 iron founderies, 12 flour mills, 8 tanneries, 6 currying establishments, and 30 saw mills.
Windsor, a town of Hartford co., Connecticut, on the W. bank of the Connecticut river, between Hartford and Windsor Locks; pop. in 1870, 2,783. The town was one of the first settled in Connecticut. William Holmes, one of the settlers of Plymouth colony, with several associates, in October, 1633, erected a building on the banks of the Connecticut, just below the mouth of its tributary the Tunxis or Farmington, and fortified it strongly with palisades. It was built for and occupied as a "trading house," until the arrival of permanent settlers from Massachusetts in 1636. The rich meadows, overflowed by the spring freshet, being at this point of considerable width and free from forests, were particularly valuable to the first settlers. The population is largely agricultural, but the town is rapidly filling up at the centre with the residences of artisans and others from Hartford. - Windsor Locks, on the Connecticut river, 12 m. above Hartford, and on the New York, New Haven, and Hartford railroad, was a part of Windsor till 1854, when it was incorporated as a separate town; pop. in 1870, 2,154. It is supplied with water power by the Enfield Falls canal, and is largely engaged in manufacturing, having several paper mills, stockinet, silk, and cotton factories, steel works, iron foundery, etc.
Canada A Town And Port Of Entry Of Essex Co. Ontario, on the Detroit river, opposite the city of Detroit, and at the W. terminus of the Great Western railway; pop. in 1871, 4,253. It contains several breweries and distilleries, and manufactories of tobacco, leather, brooms, wooden ware, soap and candles, boots and shoes, wine, carriages, etc. There are two branch banks, a high school, a daily and two weekly newspapers, a convent, and churches of four denominations. The value of imports for the year ending June 30, 1874, was $918,391; of exports, $271,826.
Nova Scotia A Port Of Entry And The Capital Of Hants Co, on an arm of Mines basin, and on the Windsor and Annapolis railway, 27 m. N. W. of Halifax; pop. in 1871, 2,715. There are extensive quarries of limestone, gypsum, and other valuable minerals in the vicinity. The streets are lighted with gas. It contains an iron foundery, several mills and factories, a branch bank, a weekly newspaper, and six churches, and is the seat of King's college. The value of imports for the year ending June 30, 1874, was $264,310; of exports, $127,294.