Woolwich, a parish of Kent, England, formerly an independent town, now a suburb of London, on the right bank of the Thames, 9 m. below London bridge; pop. in 1871, 35,557. It stands principally on elevated. ground close to the river, with marshes to the east and west. There are several churches and charitable institutions, a town hall, a mechanics' institute, and numerous schools. The greater part of the population is dependent for support upon the government works. The royal dock yard was closed in 1869, after being employed for naval purposes nearly 300 years. The royal arsenal, covering more than 100 acres, is the principal depot of artillery and munitions of war for both the navy and the army. It contains founderies and factories for the manufacture of warlike stores, magazines, a model room with a pattern of every article used in the artillery service, immense quantities of shot and shell, and extensive barracks. A practising ground is attached, nearly 3 m. in range. The government ordnanoe is all proved at Woolwich. The garrison usually amounts to about 3,500 men.
An academy for educating military officers, more particularly for the artillery and engineers, was founded at Woolwich in 1719, and is the principal military school in England. At North Woolwich, on the opposite bank, are many extensive manufactories, especially of telegraph cables.