Wyandot, a N. W. county of Ohio, intersected by the Sandusky river; area, 350 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 18,553. The surface is level and diversified by prairie and woodland, and the soil is fertile. It is traversed by the Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne, and Chicago, the Cincinnati, Sandusky, and Cleveland, and the Findlay branch railroads. The chief productions in 1870 were 388,036 bushels of wheat, 451,887 of Indian corn, 178,712 of oats, 50,308 of potatoes, 348,142 lbs. of butter, 311,964 of wool, and 23,403 tons of bay. There were 5,328 horses, 4,422 milch cows, 6,581 other cattle', 77,902 sheep, and 15,451 swine; 10 manufactories of carriages and wagons, 6 of furniture, 2 of iron castings, 1 of machinery, 2 flour mills, 16 saw mills, and 3 woollen mills. Capital, Upper Sandusky.
Wyandots, an Indian tribe, of the Iroquois family, in the United States, known for the last century by this name, but previously calling themselves Tionontates or Dinondadies. They were originally on the shores of Lake Huron, about 40 m. S. W. of the Wendats or Hurons proper. They cultivated and traded in tobacco so extensively that the early French called them the Petun or Tobacco Indians. After the defeat of the Hurons, they too were attacked and nearly destroyed by the Iroquois. The survivors, with a few fugitive Hurons, fled to Black river, Wisconsin, and wandered to Lake Superior. In 1670 they were compelled by a war with the Sioux to betake themselves to Michilimackinac, whither they were accompanied by Father Marquette. Their next removal was to Detroit, whence they extended their hunting grounds S. to Sandusky. Here about 1740 a reformatory mission was begun by the Jesuits, and in time nearly the whole tribe removed to the spot and took a prominent part in all our early Indian affairs in the west. In 1778 this part of the tribe was estimated to contain 180 men able to bear arms. In the war of 1812 it furnished 100 warriors to the English forces.
In 1829 a band of about 40 was living on the river Huron W. of Lake Erie, in Michigan; but the principal portion of the Wyandots, estimated at 600 souls, was collected on the head waters of the Sandusky river. By a treaty of April 6, 1832, they sold their lands in Ohio to the United States government, and were removed, numbering 687, to the junction of the Kansas and Missouri rivers, in the present state of Kansas, where they still remain. In 1836 a census showed their number to be 575, and in 1847, to be 687, in 117 families. By a treaty of Jan. 31, 1855, they acquired the right to become citizens, and the lands of the tribe were divided among them, giving to each person the ownership of about 40 acres. A band of 239 was still in 1875 on the Quapaw reservation. A small portion of the Wyandots remained near Detroit, and by a treaty made there in 1790 the English government assigned to them the Huron reserve of 23,620 acres on Detroit river, where they still remain, their numbers having declined in this century from 200 to 72. The sasteretsi or hereditary king, with the national wampum, remained with this band.