Ypsila1hi, Or Ypsilantis, the name of a powerful and wealthy Fanariote Greek family, originating at Trebizond, and claiming descent from the Comneni.

I. Athanasins

Athanasins, in the early part of the 18th century, was a favorite of the sultan at Constantinople.

II. Alexander

Alexander, his son (1725-1805), was interpreter at the Sublime Porte, became hospodar of Wallachia in 1774, granted religious freedom to Lutherans in 1780, resigned shortly after, was reappointed in 1790, was taken prisoner Iry the Russians and released after the peace of Jassy in 1792, was again hospodar in 1796-'8, was afterward suspected by the Porte of treasonable relations with Russia, and was executed with great tortures.

III. Constantine

Constantine, son of the preceding, born in Constantinople about 1760, died in Kiev in 1816. He conspired for the deliverance of Greece, but was detected and fled. His father having obtained his pardon, he returned and became dragoman to the Porte, and in 1799 was appointed hospodar of Moldavia, and shortly afterward of Wallachia. He was dismissed in 1805 on account of his relations with the Russians, entered the Russian service against Turkey, and after the peace of Tilsit lived at Kiev on a pension from the Russian government.

IV. Alexander

Alexander, son of the preceding, born in Constantinople in 1783, died in Vienna, Jan. 31, 1828. He entered the Russian service in 1809 as an officer in the cavalry of the guard, became major in 1812, and lost his right hand in the battle of Dresden, Aug. 27,1813. He was made a colonel and adjutant of Alexander I., and in 1817 a major general. In 1820 he took the leadership of the movement projected by the Hetaeria, the secret society formed to promote the independence of Greece. The outbreak began in the Danubian principalities in February, 1821; hut he lacked the qualities of a commander and a revolutionist, and the fatal issue of the battle at Dragashan, June 19, put an end to the project for the time. Ypsilanti fled to Transylvania, and surrendered himself to the Austrians, who kept him a prisoner for six years at Munkacs and Theresienstadt; and when released in 1827, through the interposition of the czar Nicholas, his health was destroyed.

V. Demetrius, Brother Of The Preceding

Brother Of The Preceding Demetrius, born in Constantinople, Dec. 25, 1793, died in Nauplia (Napoli di Romania), Greece, Aug. 16, 1832. He distinguished himself in the Russian service in 1814, joined the insurrection in the Morea in' June, 1821, demanded that the supreme command should be given him, and on its refusal quarrelled with the party of Mavrocordatos. He took command at the siege of Tripolitza, which he carried by storm in October, but was repulsed in December at Nauplia. In July, 1822, he distinguished himself by audaciously holding the citadel of Argos and rendering possible the total destruction of the enemy in the passes between that place and Corinth. In 1823, failing to obtain political supremacy, he withdrew from public affairs. In June, 1825, he successfully opposed Ibrahim Pasha at the mills of Lerna, and in 1826 took a prominent part in advocating the rejection of the proposed English protectorate. When Capo d'Istria assumed the government in 1828, Ypsilanti was made commander of the troops in eastern Greece, but resigned in 1830. In April, 1832, after the assassination of Capo d'Istria, he was chosen one of the seven members of the executive commission, and held that office till his death. - The present chief of the family, Prince Gregoey Ypsilanti, born in 1835, was for many years Greek minister to Austria, and for a long period at the same time to the court of Berlin. In May, 1876, he was transferred to Paris. In 1862 he married a daughter of Baron Sina, the famous Greek banker at Vienna, a portion of whose vast wealth she inherited on his death in April, 1876.