A N". "W. Province Of Spain, formerly part of the kingdom of Leon, bordering on the provinces of Orense, Leon, Valladolid, and Salamanca, and on Portugal; area, 4,135 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 250,968. The surface is generally level, and the climate temperate and healthful. The principal rivers are the Douro, which intersects it, and its tributary the Esla. Grain, wine, and fruits are abundantly raised, and there are mines of antimony and argentiferous lead. Manufactures are backward.
A City, capital of the province, on the right bank of the Douro, 133 m. N. W. of Madrid; pop. about 12,000. It is the seat of a bishop, has a theological seminary, a Gothic cathedral containing the grave of St. Ildefonso, 22 churches, 16 convents, and three hospitals. Serges, hats, leather, distilled liquors, flour, etc, are manufactured, and there is a considerable trade in wine and grain. - Zamora was recovered from the Moors in 748 by Alfonso the Catholic, and in 985 was retaken and destroyed by Almanzor. It was rebuilt under Ferdinand II. and Alfonso VIIL, and was at times the capital of the kingdom of Leon and Castile. It was sacked by the French in 1808.