Zanesville, a city and the county seat of Muskingum co., Ohio, on both sides of the Muskingum river, at the mouth of Licking river, 78 m. above the junction of the former with the Ohio, and 59 m. E. of Columbus; pop. in 1850, 7,929; in 1860, 9,229; in 1870, 10,011; in 1873, 16,536; in 1876, locally estimated at more than 21,000. The Muskingum is here crossed by an iron railroad bridge 538 ft. long, and three other bridges. The city is well built, with wide regular streets, lighted with gas, and has water works costing more than $500,000, street railroads, a paid fire department, and a stone court house costing $300,000. The water is pumped from the river into reservoirs at an elevation of 194 ft., whence it is distributed through 30 m. of mains. Railroad communication is furnished by the Baltimore and Ohio (Central Ohio division) and the Cincinnati and Muskingum Valley lines. The Muskingum river is navigable by steamers to Dresden, 17 m. above the city, whence the Ohio canal affords means of transportation. The surrounding country is fertile, and is the source of a profitable trade. The chief interest is manufacturing, for which facilities are afforded by the water power in the rivers and the bituminous coal, iron ore, limestone, and clays of the adjacent country.
There are two blast furnaces (one not in operation), a rolling mill, three large machine shops (producing stationary and portable engines, largely shipped to foreign countries), four founderies for castings and hollow ware, a manufactory of agricultural implements, four glass factories (one of window glass and three of bottles and hollow ware), two paper mills (one producing printing paper and the other printing and straw wrapping paper), a manufactory of burial cases, two of tile (one for roofing and the other, the only one of the kind in the United States, for flooring), six potteries, three soap factories, two tanneries, three sash and blind factories, a brass foundery, a wagon factory, two carriage factories, machine shops of the Baltimore and Ohio railroad, four large flouring mills, two woollen mills, and. a cotton mill. The city contains a national bank and three private banks, with an aggregate capital of nearly $500,000. There are a high school and 18 ward school buildings, with 64 graded schools and one German school. John Mclntyre, the founder of the city, left at his death an estate now valued at more than $300,000 for the benefit of free schools.
The principal schools not under the control of the city are the Putnam female seminary, with a library of 2,500 volumes, and two Roman Catholic schools. A daily and five weekly newspapers are published. The Zanesville Athenaeum has a reading room and a library of 5,500 volumes. There are 22 churches, viz.: 4 Baptist, 1 Episcopal, 2 Jewish, 2 Lutheran, 1 Methodist, 5 Methodist Episcopal, 4 Presbyterian, 2 Roman Catholic, and 1 United Brethren in Christ. - Zanesville was settled in 1799, and from 1810 to 1812 was the capital of the state.