Barmen, an industrial town in Rhenish Prussia, closely adjoining Elberfeld, and 24 m. N. N. E. of Cologne. It is situated in the valley of the W'upper, and stretches along the Bergisch-Markische railway over a distance of about 9 m. to the frontier of Westphalia. It is divided into Upper, Middle, and Lower Barmen, each of which consists of a number of small towns or villages which were formerly independent, and which even now, though all absorbed into the town of Barmen, retain their old names. In 1706 the population of the valley was only 2,500; in 1861 it was 49,740; and in 1871 it had risen to 74,496. The ribbon manufacture is the most important in Europe; and cottons, velvets, silks, chemical products, plated ware, etc, are produced. There is a gymnasium; also a seminary of foreign missions belonging to the Rhenish Westphalian missionary society.
Barnabas Bates, a promoter of cheap postage in the United States, born at Edmonton, England, in 1785, died in Boston, Oct. 11, 1853. He came to America at an early age, became a Baptist preacher in Rhode Island, and was for a time collector of the port of Bristol. In 1825 he established in New York the "Christian Inquirer," a weekly journal. Afterward, while acting as assistant in the post office at New York, he became interested in the question of cheap postage. He investigated the subject for years, wrote, published pamphlets, and lectured, and finally effected a material reduction in the rates of land postage. He was endeavoring to obtain a corresponding reform in ocean postage at his death.
Barnegat. I. A post village of Union township, in the S. part of Ocean county, N. J. It lies on Double creek, near the inlet of that name, 1 m. from Barnegat bay. It has excellent sea bathing, and an abundance of wild fowl. II. A bay on the E. border of Ocean county, N. J., extends N. from below Barnegat inlet to the mouth of Metetecunk river. It is about 23 m. long, and from 1 to 4 m. wide. Metetecunk, Toms, and Forked rivers, and Kettle and Cedar creeks, discharge into it. Squan beach and Island beach, strips of sandy land from a quarter of a mile to a mile in width, separate it from the ocean. Its entrance is about a mile wide.
Barnsley, a market town and municipal borough of Yorkshire, England, 12 m. N. of Sheffield, and 17 m. S. by E. of Leeds; pop. in 1871, 23,021. It has a spacious market place, extensive manufactures of linen, yarn, and drills, a glass factory, iron foundery, needle and wire works, dyeing and coal works. Barnsley communicates with Wakefield and Leeds by the Barnsley canal, which connects the Cal-der and Don. Near it are the remains of Monk Briton priory.
Barnstaple, a parliamentary and municipal borough, seaport, market town, and parish of Devonshire, England, on the Taw, 6 m. from its mouth in Barnstaple or Bideford harbor, on the N. W. coast, and 34 m. N. W. of Exeter; pop. of the town in 1871,11,250. It is believed to have been founded by King Athelstan. It is well built, has an ancient church, a grammar school, where Bishop Jewell and the poet Gay were taught, a mechanics' institute, tanneries, potteries, iron founderies, paper mills, and manufactories of woollen cloths, cotton lace, and nets. The streets are well paved and lighted with gas. The weekly market held here is the principal one of North Devon, and there is also a celebrated cattle fair in September.