Barton. I. A S. W. county of Missouri, on the Kansas border, watered by affluents of the Grand or Neosho and of the Osage river; area, 600 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 5,087, of whom 19 were colored. The chief productions in 1870 were 21,436 bushels of wheat, 245,460 of Indian corn, 38,347 of oats, and 7,459 tons of hay. There were 1,983 horses, 1,755 milch cows, 3,237 other cattle, 3,337 sheep, and 6,794 swine. Capital, Lamar. II. A W. central county of Kansas; area, 900 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 2. The Arkansas river intersects the S. portion, and its branches, the chief of which is Walnut creek, water the greater part of the county. Fort Zarah is in this county, at the junction of Walnut creek with the Arkansas.
Barton Booth, an English actor, born in Lancashire in 1681, died in London, May 10, 1733. His father was a near relative of the earl of Warrington. The son ran away from the university of Cambridge and joined a company of strolling players. He appeared in Dublin in 1698 with great success in the character of Oronoko, and was afterward engaged at the Drury Lane theatre, London, under the management of Betterton. He was the favorite tragic actor of the day, gaining especial celebrity as Cato in Addison's play, and as the ghost in " Hamlet." He was highly esteemed for his attainments and character.
Bartow, a N. W. county of Georgia, formerly called Cass; area, 714 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 16,566, of whom 4,719 were colored. Gold, copper, lead, iron, plumbago, marble, and limestone are found in several places. The surface is much diversified, and occupied in part by forests of hickory, pine, elm, and other trees. The Western and Atlantic railroad traverses the county, and it is drained by Etowah river and its branches. The chief productions in 1870 were 136,047 bushels of wheat, 239,197 of Indian corn, 36,284 of oats, and 2,833 bales of cotton. There were 1,045 horses, 1,682 milch cows, 2,552 other cattle, 4,100 sheep, and 11,794 swine. Capital, Cartersville.
Baryta, Or Barytes. See Barium.
Bas, Or Batz, a small island of France, in the English channel, a part of the department of Finistere, 15 m. N. W. of Morlaix, about 2 1/2 m. long and nearly 2 m. wide; pop. about 5,000. It contains three villages, four batteries, two forts, a revolving lighthouse, and a safe harbor of refuge.
Bas-Rhin, a former department of France, now included in the German imperial territory of Alsace-Lorraine. (See Alsace-Lorraine).
Basaniteor Touchstone Lidian Stone, a velvet-black quartz or flinty jasper, used for testing gold alloys. The metal when rubbed upon the stone leaves a portion upon the black surface; and this being touched with a drop of nitric acid indicates to the experienced eye the comparative purity of the alloy by the color. Suitable pieces of quartz for this use were originally obtained in Lydia, whence the name.