Basarjik. (Turkish, market town), the name of several places in European Turkey, the most important of which are the two following.
I. Also called Iladji-Oglo-Basari, in eastern Bulgaria, 25 m. N. of Varna; pop. about 5,000, mostly Mohammedans. The town contains 10 mosques, and has an important yearly fair in April. It was captured by the Russians, June 2, 1774, and again June 3, 1810, after an obstinate struggle in which 8,000 Turks fell.
II. Also called Tatar-Basarjik, on the upper Maritza, in the eyalet of Adrianople, 20 m. W. N. W. of Philippopolis. It contains 4,000 or 5,000 houses, about three fourths of which are occupied by Mohammedans and one fourth by Bulgarian Christians. The town has 18 mosques, 5 churches, and a yearly fair lasting from the beginning of June to the middle of August. Rice culture and the trade in that article are important branches of industry. There are also warm springs and baths.
Bashaw. See Pasha.
Basilar, an island of the Malay archipelago, the largest of the Sooloo group, separated by the strait of Basilan, 12 m. wide, from the S. W. extremity of the island of Mindanao; area, about 500 sq. m.; pop. about 5,000. The coast abounds with fish; there are wild hogs, deer, and elephants in the forests. It is a favorite resort of pirates.
Basilosaurus. See Zeuglodox.
Basks, a N. E. county of Georgia, watered by Broad river and its affluents; area, 250 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 4,973, of whom 921 were colored. The chief productions in 1870 were 11,314 bushels of wheat, 114,167 of Indian corn, 11,069 of oats, 12,263 of sweet potatoes, and 398 bales of cotton. Capital, Homer.
Basque Provinces. See Basques.
Bass Rock, an island rock near the mouth of the frith of Forth, Haddingtonshire, Scotland, 3 m. N. E. of N. Berwick. It is nearly round, about 1 m. in circumference and 400 ft. high, composed of green or clink stone, traversed by a vast cavern from N. W. to S. E., inaccessible on all sides except on the S.W., where it is impossible to land in stormy weather. The precipices rising out of the sea give shelter to great numbers of solan geese and other aquatic birds. Charles II. purchased the rock for £4,000 as a prison for covenanters. A handful of partisans of James II. held it from June, 1691, to April, 1694, against all the forces sent by William III., who had the fortifications demolished in 1701. In 1706 the rock passed into the possession of the Dalrymple family, and they derive a revenue by letting it to a keeper, who sells the young geese and receives fees from visitors.
Bass Strait, a channel between Tasmania and New South Wales, about 250 m. long and 140 wide. At the E. entrance stands Flinders island, and at the W. King's island. It abounds in small islands and coral reefs, which materially obstruct the navigation. Tin was found in one of the islands in 1872.