Beaujjlais, a subdivision of the ancient province of Lyonnais, France, forming now the northern part of the department of the Rhone, and a small part of that of the Loire. After having formed an important separate barony, it came in 1400 into possession of the ducal house of Bourbon, was confiscated in 1523 from the great constable de Bourbon and united to the crown by Francis I., but subsequently given back to a nephew of the constable. In 1626 it came by marriage to the house of Orleans, in whose possession it remained until the revolution. It is noted for its fine vineyards. Its capital was Beaujeu.
Beaune, an old town of Burgundy, France, department of Cote d'Or, 23 m. S. S. W. of Dijon, at the foot of a hill which produces excellent wine; pop. in 1866, 10,907. Its most remarkable public buildings are the church of Notre Dame, founded by Duke Henry of Burgundy in 976, and the hospital, founded by Chancellor Rollin in 1443. Before the revocation of the edict of Nantes Beaune was among the leading manufacturing cities of eastern France; it still produces cloth, cutlery, leather, vinegar, casks, etc, but its actual importance is mostly derived from its wine trade, which is considerable. It was anciently fortified. Early in 1871 the town was repeatedly occupied by the Germans under Gen. Von Werder.
Beaune-La-Rolaide, a village of France, in the department of Loiret, on the road leading from Montargis to Pithiviers, on the northern edge of the forest of Orleans; pop. in 1866, 1,962. On Nov. 28, 1870, a battle was fought here between the 10th German army corps, belonging to the army of Prince Frederick Charles, and the French army of the Loire, under Aurelle de Paladines. The latter, who were the assailants, sustained a loss of 7,000, and fell back to their fortified lines before Orleans.
Beauty. See AEsthetics.
Beaver Head, a S. W. county of Montana territory, separated on the S. and W. from Idaho by the Rocky mountains and bounded N. by the Big Hole mountain; area, 4,250 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 722. Affluents of Jefferson river, one of the head streams of the Missouri, take their rise in this county. The surface is very mountainous. The county contains three quartz mills for the production of gold and a saw mill. Capital, Bannock.
Beaver Indians, a branch of the Chipe-wyans, belonging to the Athabascan family. They inhabit a beautiful district on the Peace river, and are allied with the Mauvais Monde. Their dialect differs somewhat from the Chipe-wyan. They are gay, improvident, and given to gambling. - A tribe of the Algonquin family, called in early French accounts Amikouek or Beaver Indians, lay north of Manitouline island on the hanks of Lake Huron. They were also called Nez Perces, a name subsequently given to an Oregon tribe.
Beaver Islands, a group in Lake Michigan, near its N. extremity, and having one island of considerable extent (40 sq. m.), called Big Beaver. After their expulsion from Nauvoo, a dissenting branch of the Mormons established themselves there under Joseph Strang.