Behar, the western portion of the territory under the rule of the lieutenant governor of Bengal, comprising the commissionerships of Patna and Bhaugulpore, bounded W. by the Northwest Provinces and N. by Nepaul; area, exclusive of waste and forest lands and areas of great rivers, 42,417 sq. m.; pop. in 1872, 19,736,101, being 465 to the square mile. Be-har was a province under the Mohammedan government, but was ceded to the British East India company in 1765. It is the most populous of the large divisions of Bengal, and is generally well watered, fertile, and thoroughly cultivated. The principal products are opium, indigo, and rice. There is a system of irrigation works S. of the Ganges, in the basin of the river Sone. Patna is the chief town. In the Patna commissionership is the smaller administrative district called Behar, including the town of that name, in lat. 29° 19' N., Ion. 85° 85', formerly a prominent city, but now comparatively unimportant.
Behring Island, an island off the E. coast of the peninsula of Kamtchatka, in lat. 55° 17' N., lon. 165° 46' E., about 90 m. long. It was uninhabited at the time of its discovery by Behring in 1741, but has since been occupied by fur-traders, and is a winter harbor for trading vessels. The island is destitute of wood, and the soil is exceedingly barren. It abounds in springs of fresh water, and the furs of the arctic animals found here are very valuable, the principal being the ice fox and sea otter.
Behring Sea, that part of the Pacific ocean which lies immediately S. of Behring strait, and between the continents of America and Asia. Its southern limit is the curvilinear line of the Aleutian islands, which, together with Behring island, stretch across the Pacific from Alaska to Kamtchatka. It receives the Anadyr river in a gulf of the same name on the Asiatic side, and the Yukon from the American, has several islands, and is almost perpetually cov-ered with fog. The current sets north through the strait. The sea is not so much obstructed with ice as Baffin bay. It was first explored by Behring in 1728.
Behring Strait, a channel connecting the North Pacific and Arctic oceans between the continents of Asia and America, discovered by Behring in 1728. Between East cape in Asia and Cape Prince of Wales on the American side, the strait is only 36 m. wide. The depth of water is from 20 to 30 fathoms. It is commonly reckoned about 400 m. long. Capt. Cook visited and described the strait in 1778, and later Capt. Beechey. About midway across, in the narrowest place, are three islands, called Diomedes. Opposite the southern opening of the strait stands the large island of St. Lawrence. A current sets through the strait from S. to N. The adjacent coasts are' uninhabited. The shores are bold and deeply indented. The strait is frozen over every winter, and large quantities of ice are constantly blocked in north of the capes.