Bland, a S. W. county of Virginia, bordering on West Virginia; area, 330 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 4,000, of whom 217 were colored. The surface is mountainous. The chief productions in 1870 were 16,518 bushels of wheat, 42,057 of Indian corn, 28,392 of oats, and 1,883 tons of hay. There were 952 horses, 1,105 milch cows, 1,851 other cattle, 3,853 sheep, and 2,987 swine. Capital, Mechanicsburg.
Blaye (anc. Blavia), a fortified town of France, in the department of the Gironde, on the right bank of the river Gironde, 20 m. N. by W. of Bordeaux; pop. in 1866, 4,761. The upper part of the town, with the citadel, lies on a steep rock; in the citadel, which was built by Vauban, the duchess of Berry was imprisoned in 1832. On the opposite side of the river is Fort Medoc, and on an islet between them is. a fortified tower called the Pate de Blaye. The town has been a military station since the times of the Romans. It has a school of hydrography and an active coast trade.
Bledsoe, a S. E. county of Tennessee, drained by the Sequatchie river; area, 480 sq. ra.; pop. in 1870, 4,870, of whom 709 were colored. It has an uneven and partly mountainous surface. Coal is found in several places. The chief productions in 1870 were 22,034 bushels of wheat, 201,667 of Indian corn, and 21,550 of oats. There were 1,137 horses, 1,354 milch cows. 3,969 other cattle, 5,555 sheep, and 11,-048 swine. Capital, Pikesville.
Blemyes, Or Blemmyes, an ancient nomadic race of Africa, who appear to have occupied different regions at different epochs. In Ptolemy's time they held the territory between the Astaboras (Bahr-el-Azrek) and Astapus (At-bara). Older authorities speak of them as extending beyond the desert of Libya. In the 2d century A. D. they had become very powerful about the borders of Egypt, then under Roman rule, and even made warlike and predatory expeditions into the province. Diocletian made extensive concessions to their powerful chiefs, and gave up to them the parts of Nubia held by the Romans. They continued their hostile expeditions, however, and as late as the 7th century molested the inhabitants of the territory about them. Several ancient writers represented the Blemyes as a fabulous race, and many stories were current of their savage and ferocious appearance and habits. The Bishareen, Ababdeh, and other tribes of the present day are supposed to be their descendants.
Blidah, Or Blida, a town of Algeria, on the borders of the fertile plain of Metidjah, 25 m. S. S. W. of Algiers; pop. in 1866, 9,975. It is a station on the first railway ever built in Algeria. It was taken by the French in 1830, but first occupied by them in 1838.
Bll'efields, Or Blewfields, a river and town of Nicaragua, the latter on the Mosquito coast. The river is several hundred miles long, is navigable for 80 miles, and empties into an inlet of the Caribbean sea. It is also known as Rio Escon-dido. The town stands on an eminence at the mouth of the river, about 200 m. E. S. E. of Leon, and 150 m. N. of San Jose, Costa Rica, and has about 500 inhabitants and a good harbor. It was formerly the residence of the king of the Mosquito country.