Blue Ridge, the most eastern of the principal ridges of the Appalachian chain of mountains. It is the continuation S. of the Potomac of the same great ridge which in Pennsylvania and Maryland is known as the South mountain. It retains the name of Blue Ridge till it crosses the James river, from which to the line of North Carolina its continuation is called the Alleghany mountain. Punning through North Carolina into Tennessee, it again bears the name of Blue Ridge. (See Appalachian Mountains).
Blue River, a river of Indiana, rising in Henry county in the eastern part of the state, takes a S. W. course, and joins Sugar creek, in Johnson county, after which it takes the name of Driftwood fork, or East fork of White river. Above Sugar creek it is from 30 to 60 yards wide, and affords excellent water power. The towns of Shelbyville and Newcastle are on its banks.
Blue Stockings, a title which originated in England in the time of Dr. Johnson for ladies who cultivated learned conversation. Dr. Do-ran relates that in 1757 it was much the fashion for ladies to form evening assemblies where they might participate in talk with literary and ingenious men. One of the most eminent talkers on these occasions was a Mr. Stillingtleet, who always wore blue stockings, and his absence at any time was so regretted that it used to be said, "We can do nothing without the blue stockings." The title was by degrees transferred, first to the clubs of this kind, and then to the ladies who attended them. It soon became a general appellation for pedantic or ridiculously literary ladies. One of the most famous of these clubs was that which met at Mrs. Montagu's, which was sometimes honored by the presence of Dr. Johnson, and the principal members of which have been sketched and eulogized by Hannah More, in her poem entitled "The Baa Bleu."
Blue Vitriol. See Copper, vol. v., p. 318.
Boavista, Or Bonavista, an island of Africa, the easternmost of the Cape Verd islands, in hit. 16° 18' N., lon. 22° 56' W.; pop. about 3,000. The island is pentagonal in form, about 20 m. in length, and has two basaltic peaks in the centre. The manufacture of salt is the chief occupation of the inhabitants. There are three ports for large vessels, Porto Sal Rey, Porto do Norte, and Porto Cnrralinho. Rabil is the capital.
Bobruisk, a fortified town of Russia, in the government and 87 m. S. E. of the city of Minsk, on the right bank of the Beresina; pop. in 1867, 24,681, nearly one half of whom are Jews. The town is a station for packets navigating the Beresina, and carries on a brisk trade in corn and wood. It was first fortified by Alexander I., successfully resisted a siege by the French in 1812, and was raised by Nicholas to a fortress of the first class.
Boca Tigris, Or The Bogne, the entrance to the Canton river, China. It is a comparatively narrow passage, about 40 m. from Canton, and is called by the Chinese Hu Mun, or "The Tiger's Mouth," of which Boca Tigris is the Portuguese translation. There are two rocky islands in its centre, which were carefully fortified by the Chinese, and were considered by them impregnable. But since 1830 British squadrons have silenced them three times, and these once famous batteries are now dismantled,
All that part of the estuary of Canton river which lies southward of the Bogue is known by the name of the "Outer Water."