Bornholm, an island in the Baltic, belonging to Denmark, 23 m. S. E. of Sandhammar point, Sweden, and 90 m. E. of Seeland; area, 225 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 31,894. It is about 23 m. long by 18 wide. The coast is high and rocky, skirted in many places by dangerous reefs, and there are no good harbors for large vessels. A range of mountains with dry and sterile slopes runs through the interior; but the lower land is generally fertile. The island produces coal, marble, building stone, sheep, and cattle; and earthenware is made. The capital is Ronne, at the S. W. angle of the island.
Borodino, a small village of Russia, on the left bank of the Kolotcha, 2 m. above its junction with the Moskva, in the government and 70 m. W. S. W. of Moscow. It is famous for a battle between the French and Russians, Sept. 7, 1812. The French army, under Napoleon, numbered 125,000, while the Russian forces, commanded by Kutuzoff, Prince Bagra-tion, and Barclay de Tolly, were nearly 160,000 strong. The battle commenced in the early morning, and raged with great fury until 3 o'clock in the afternoon, when the Russians gave up the field and retreated. The total loss of the Russians was 52,000 men, and that of the French 30,000. The former, having retreated in good order, never acknowledged the battle as a defeat, and in 1839 raised a mausoleum on the field as a trophy of victory. The French call it the battle of the Moskva, and it gave Marshal Ney his title of Prince of Moskva. The actual battle field was 'on the opposite side of the Kolotcha from Borodino.
Borovitchi, a town of Russia, in the government of Novgorod, on the Msta, 155 m. S. E. of St. Petersburg; pop. in 1867, 9,108. It has nine churches, two schools of a high grade, and several manufactories.
Borovsk, a town of European Russia, in the government and 50 m. N. of the city of Kaluga, on the Protva; pop. in 1867, 8,826. It contains many churches, and near the town is one of the richest convents of the empire. There are extensive manufactories of sail cloth and of woollen goods, and there is an active trade in these articles, as well as in flax, hemp, and leather.
Borsa, a village of Hungary, in the county of Marmaros, 45 m. S. E. of Szigeth, at the entrance of a gorge leading into Bukowina; pop. in 1870, 5,503. In the neighborhood are some mines of gold, argentiferous lead, and copper.
Borsod, a N. county of Hungary, bounded E. in part by the Theiss and the Ilernad, and traversed by the Sajo; area, 1,370 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 195,037, chiefly Magyars. The soil is mountainous or hilly in the northwest, and level in the east and south. Cattle are reared in great numbers on extensive pastures. Bor-sod wheat is celebrated, and the county is called Little Hungary on account of its extraordinary productiveness in the principal staples of the country. The forests contain various kinds of timber and plenty of game. The vine culture is extensive. Minerals abound, and iron is worked to a large extent,, and partly converted into steel. The county contains a number of large and over 170 small villages, and derives its name from that of Borsod, 5 m. S. of Szendro, which contains a Protestant church and an old castle. Capital, Miskolcz.