Bovino (anc. Bovinum or Vibinum), a fortified town of Italy, in the province of Capitanata, 18 m. S. S. W. of Foggia; pop. about 6,000. It is memorable for a defeat of the imperialists by the Spaniards in 1734.
Bowie, a N. E. county of Texas, separated on the north from the Indian territory and Arkansas by the Red river, bounded E. by Arkansas and S. and S. W. by the Sulphur fork of Red river; area, 892 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 4,687, of whom 2,249 were colored. The surface is undulating, and in many places covered with thick forests of post oak and other timber. The soil of the bottoms is rich red land, well suited to cotton; in other localities it is sandy. Lignite coal and iron ore are found. There are several mineral springs. The chief productions in 1870 were 104,805 bushels of Indian corn, 11,223 of sweet potatoes, 2,990 bales of cotton, and 4,757 lbs. of honey. There were 772 horses, 1,501 milch cows, 4,178 other cattle, 578 sheep, and 7,011 swine. Capital, Boston.
Bowling Green, a town and the capital of Warren co., Ky., on Barren river, 120 m. S. W. of Frankfort; pop. in 1870, 4,574, of whom 1,670 were colored. The river is navigable to this point by steamboats of 200 tons, and regular lines run to Louisville. The Louisville and Nashville railroad passes through the town. Its trade, chiefly in pork and tobacco, is considerable, and there are a number of mills, and some manufactories of iron, woollens, etc. There are several churches and schools, and a weekly newspaper. At the beginning of the civil war it was regarded as a point of great strategic importance, and was occupied by Gen. Buck-ner in September, 1861, with a force of 10,000 confederates, which was subsequently- largely increased, for the purpose of defending the approach to Nashville. After the capture of Fort Henry by the federal troops (Feb. 6, 1862), the confederates found themselves outflanked, and were obliged to evacuate the town.
Box Elder, a N. W. county of Utah, bounded N. by Idaho and W. by Nevada; area, 6,000 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 4,855, of whom 403 were Chinese. About half of Great Salt lake lies in the S. E. part of the county. Bear river flows through the E. part. The surface is broken. The Central Pacific railroad traverses the county. The chief productions in 1870 were 26,972 bushels of wheat, 4,539 of Indian corn, 2,324 of oats, 4,240 of barley, 10,692 of potatoes, 1,784 tons of hay, 3,394 lbs. of wool, and 3,910 gallons of sorghum molasses. There were 434 horses, 801 milch cows, and 2,582 sheep. Capital, Brigham City.
Boyd, a N. E. county of Kentucky, separated on the N. E. from Ohio by the Ohio river, and on the E. from West Virginia by Big Sandy river; area, 230 sq. in.; pop. in 1870, 8,573, of whom 291 were colored. The surface is' generally hilly. Iron ore and stone coal are abundant. The chief productions in 1870 were 11,718 bushels of wheat, 168,199 of Indian corn, 17,968 of oats, 12,598 of potatoes, and 1,269 tons of hay. There were 850 horses, 945 milch cows, 1,908 other cattle, 3,843 sheep, and 3,999 swine. Capital, Oatlettsburg.