Bradford Kinney Peirce, an American clergyman, born in Royalton, Vt., Feb. 3, 1819. He graduated at Wesley an university in 1841, was received into the New England Methodist Episcopal conference in 1843, served as pastor in Waltham, Newburyport, and Charlestown, Mass., and in 1847 removed to Boston to edit the " Sunday School Messenger" and the " Sunday School Teacher." In 1855-6 he was a state senator, and his efforts in behalf of public charities led to the establishment of the state industrial school at Lancaster, of which he was superintendent and chaplain. He was chaplain of the house of refuge on Eandall's island, N. Y., from 1863 to 1872, when he returned to Boston to become editor of " Zion's Herald." He has published "Notes on the Acts," "Bible Scholar's Manual," "The Eminent Dead," "Trials of an Inventor" (1866), "The Word of God Opened" (1868), and "A Half Century with Juvenile Delinquents" (1869).
Brag, a game at cards, deriving its name from the efforts of the players to impose upon the judgment of their opponents by boasting of better cards than they possess. The number of players is usually from four to eight. The game is played with the entire pack of cards, which rank as at whist, except the knaves and nines. These are called "brag-gers," and rank the same as any cards they may be held with. Thus, an ace and two knaves or nines, or one of each, are called three aces; a deuce and two braggers, three deuces; a king and one bragger, two kings, and so on. The best hand is a pair royal, i. e., three cards of one kind, the highest being three aces; the next is the highest pair, and then the highest single card. Stakes are put up by each player, after which the cards are shown and the best hand wins.
Braga (anc. Bracara Augusta), a city of Portugal, in the province of Minho, 33 m. N. by E. of Oporto; pop. in 1864, 19,514. It is situated on an eminence between the rivers Oavado and Deste, and is surrounded by old walls and defended by a fortress. It is the archiepiscopal see of the primate of Portugal, and contains a fine Gothic cathedral, the palace of the archbishop, and a large number of fountains. In the vicinity is the remarkable pilgrimage chapel of the Bom Jesus, which stands on the summit of a steep hill, whence there is a magnificent view of the city and of its picturesque environs. Many articles of common use are largely manufactured here, and there are weekly markets and two important annual fairs. The town is supposed to have been founded by the Carthaginians. There are considerable remains of its Roman occupation. It was afterward the capital of the Suevi, and one of the most prominent towns in the early history of Portugal.
Braine-L'Alleud , or Braine-la-Lende, a town of Belgium, in the district of Nivelles, province of South Brabant, 10 m. S. of Brussels; pop. about 5,000. Agriculture is the principal occupation, but there are manufactures of cotton goods, leather, glass, and starch. A mound surmounted by a colossal lion commemorates the battle of Waterloo, which was partly fought in this commune.