Braunsberg, a town of Prussia, in the district and 34 m. S. W. of Konigsberg, on the Passarge, near the Frische Haff; pop. in 1871, 10,471. It was formerly the seat of the bishops of Ermeland. It has an ancient castle, a Roman Catholic lyceum, theological and philosophical faculty, a Catholic gymnasium, and several churches.
Braxton, a central county of West Virginia; area, 646 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 6,480, of whom 87 were colored. The surface is hilly, and covered with large forests. The soil is well watered, and generally fertile. The Elk, Little Kanawha, and Holly are the principal rivers. Coal is found in several places, and in the northern part are salt springs. The chief productions in 1870 were 20,019 bushels of wheat, 130,690 of corn, 29,908 of oats, and 1,951 tons of hay. There were 1,558 horses, 2,049 milch cows, 2,105 other cattle, 9,923 sheep, and 6,513 swine. Capital, Sutton.
Brazoria, a S. E. county of Texas, bordering on the gulf of Mexico; area, 1,260 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 7,527, of whom 5,736 were colored. It is watered by the Brazos and San Bernard rivers, which are navigable, and by numerous smaller streams which flow into the gulf. The Houston Tap and Brazoria railroad terminates at Columbia in this county. The manufacture of extract of beef is extensively carried on. The surface is level, one half covered with valuable oak forests, and the rest prairie. The soil is red, deep, and very productive. The chief productions in 1870 were 207,881 bushels of corn, 2,988 bales of cotton, 4,740 lbs. of wool, 1,423 hhds. of sugar, and 92,450 gallons of molasses. There were 2,775 horses, 1,776 mules and asses, 2,207 milch cows, 42,770 other cattle, 1,856 sheep, and 7,437 swine. Capital, Brazoria, on the Brazos, 48 m. S. of Houston.
Brazos De Santiago, a village and port of entry of Cameron county, Texas, on the gulf of Mexico, near Point Isabel, 35 m. E. N. E. of Brownsville. For the year ending June 30, 1871, the imports from foreign countries amounted to $1,517,409; domestic exports, $695,889; foreign exports, $1,740,607. The foreign entrances were 33 vessels, of 8,525 tons, and the clearances 42 vessels, of 11,739 tons; in the coasting trade, the entrances were 76 vessels, of 33,458 tons, and the clearances were 71 vessels, of 31,915 tons.
Brazza, the largest and most productive island in the Dalmatian archipelago, belonging to Austria; area, 153 sq. m.; pop. about 16,000. It is mountainous, San Vito, the highest summit, being about 2,500 ft. It has good harbors, and trades in wine. Capital, San Pietro.
Breathitt, an E. county of Kentucky: area, 600 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 5,672, of whom 181 were colored. It is diversified by hills and forests, and intersected by the north and middle forks of the Kentucky river. Iron and coal are found. The chief productions in 1870 were 166,729 bushels of Indian corn, 8,205 of oats, 4,066 of wheat, 112,224 of potatoes, and 11,653 lbs. of wool. There were 835 horses, 1,494 milch cows, 3,024 other cattle, 7,629 sheep, and 9,055 swine. Capital, Jackson.