Brechin, a royal burgh and parish of Forfarshire, Scotland, on the S. Esk, 8 m. from its junction with the sea at Montrose, and 23 m. N. N". E. of Dundee; pop. in 1871, 7,933. It is the seat of a Scottish Episcopal bishop. The cathedral built in the 12th century is now the parish church. Near the church is an ancient round tower, 103 ft. in height, one of the only two in Scotland. Many of the inhabitants are employed in linen weaving.
Breckenridge, a N. W. county of Kentucky, bordering on Indiana, bounded N. W. by the Ohio river, and having Rough creek for its S. limit; area, 450 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 13,440, of whom 1,682 were colored. The surface consists of undulating uplands. The soil has a basis of red clay and limestone, and is fertile and well watered. Sinking creek in this county plunges below the surface, and is lost for 5 or 6 m., when it emerges from the ground, and flows into the Ohio. Penitentiary cave, near this creek, is said to contain chambers of vast size. The Tar and Breckenridge White Sulphur Springs are in this county. The Breckenridge coal is found here. The chief productions in 1870 were 57,921 bushels of wheat, 526,080 of Indian corn, 129,703 of oats, 22,918 of potatoes, 3,476 tons of hay, 139,207 lbs. of butter, 30,031 of wool, and 3,338,471 of tobacco. There were 3,672 horses, 2,565 milch cows, 4,115 other cattle, 13,525 sheep, and 25,-386 swine. Capital, Hardinsburg.
Brecknock, Or Brecon, an inland county in the south of Wales, traversed by the Black mountains and other ranges, containing the Van or Beacon mountain, 2,862 ft. high, and noted for its magnificent scenery; area, 716 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 59,905. The river Wye bounds it on the N. E. and N., the Usk flows through it, and near its centre is Brecknock Mere, or Llans-afeddar, one of the largest lakes in S. Wales. The soil on the mountains is poor, but the valleys yield grain, potatoes, and turnips in abundance, and these, together with timber, wool, cattle, and dairy produce, constitute the chief resources of the county. About half of the land is under cultivation. The mineral productions, embracing coal and iron, are inconsiderable. There are iron works in the E. part, but they draw both ore and fuel principally from other counties. The manufactures are coarse woollens and worsted stuffs.
Brecon, Or Aber-Hondcy Brecknock, a parliamentary and municipal borough and market town of Wales, capital of the county of its own name; pop. in 1871, 5,845. It is situated in a healthy and beautiful valley, at the confluence of the rivers Honddu or Hondey, Tarrell, and Usk, the first of which is crossed by three bridges, and the last by one. It has three long avenues intersected by a number of shorter ones, all well kept and paved, and most of them straight. The public walks are remarkably beautiful. The Brecknock and Abergavenny canal, 35 m. long, joins with the Monmouth canal, 18 m. long, which connects it with the Usk; and a railway with Merthyr Tydvil, 14 m. S. The town was once surrounded by walls, which were demolished by the inhabitants during the last civil war, in order to avoid a siege. Brecknock was founded about 1092, when a castle was built by Bernard Newmarch, a relative of William the Conqueror. Its ruins are included in the grounds of the Castle hotel.