Brienne, Or Briennc-Le-Chatcan, a town of France, in the department of Aube, 14 m. N. W. of Bar-sur-Aube; pop. in 1866, 2,078. It takes its name from a magnificent chateau erected in the 18th century by Louis de Lomenie, the last count of Brienne. The military college of Bri-enne, founded in 1770, was attended by Napoleon from 1779 to 1784. It was suppressed in 1790, and the buildings no longer exist. On Jan. 29, 1814, Napoleon attempted here the manoeuvre of cutting the Silesian army in two, by marching suddenly from Chalons, and interposing his forces between Schwarzenberg and Bliicher, so as to prevent their junction. A severe contest ensued, with advantage to the French, but without important results. By his will Napoleon left 1,000,000 francs to the town and 200,000 to the inhabitants.
Brigg, Or Brack, a village of Switzerland, capital of a district of the same name in the canton of Aargau, on the Aar, 10 m. N. E. of Aarau; pop. in 1870, 1,338. It is surrounded by walls, defended by conical towers, and is built on a portion of the site of the ancient Vindonissa, some remains of which are still to be seen. About 2 m. from the village are the ruins of the ancient castle of the counts of Hapsburg. The ruined abbey of Konigsfelden in the same neighborhood was founded in 1310 by the widow and daughter of Albert, emperor of Germany, who was assassinated on the spot. During the reformation Brugg was called the Proijhetenstddtchen, or the little town of prophets, from the many theologians born there.
Brighamia (Gray), a curious genus of plants, of the family lobeliacece, discovered in the Hawaiian Islands, and named for William T. Brig-ham of Boston, Mass. In B. insignis the corolla is showy, white with a tinge of cream color; the long slender tube (4 inches) slightly incurved; lobes 5, about 1 inch long, vuivate in aestivation; stamens united in a column around the pistil and adnate to the lower half of the calyx tube; stigma 2-lobed, naked; ovary 2-celled; leaves obovate, about 6 or 8 inches long, clustered in a head at the summit of the column or stem. The flowers, which are abundant and last for several months, are sweet-scented. The plant has been cultivated in England, and makes a very ornamental appearance in conservatories. The juice is not milky as in most of the arborescent lobeliacecB, and is reputed a remedy for skin diseases applied externally.
Brignoles, a town of Provence, France, in the department of Var, on the Oalamt, 21 m. N. N. E. of Toulon; pop. in 1866, 5,945. It is well built, and contains several squares planted and adorned with fountains, a public library, a normal school, an ecclesiastical school, and manufactories of silk, cloth, hardware, soaps, and of other articles. A good trade is carried on in wines, olive oil, liqueurs, and dried fruits; the prunes of Brignoles, produced in the country around Digne, enjoy a high reputation.