Bromberg (Pol. Bydgoszcz), a city of Prussia, capital of an administrative district of the same name in the province of Posen, on the river Brahe, 6 m. from its confluence with the Vistula, and 69 m. N. E. of Posen; pop. in 1871, 27,734 It has a gymnasium and normal schools, several manufactories of linen and woollen stuffs, leather, sugar, chiccory, Prussian blue, etc. There are a Protestant and two Roman Catholic churches, two convents, and a synagogue. It is connected by railroad with Berlin, Posen, and other cities. The Bromberg canal unites the rivers Brahe and Netze, and opens water communication between the Vistula and the Oder and Elbe.
Brome, a S. W. county of Quebec, Canada, bounded S. by Vermont and E. by Lake Mem-phremagog; area about 350 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 13,757. It is traversed from north to south by spurs of the Green mountains. Lake Brome, one of the sources of the Yamaska river, is situated near its northern border. Capital, Knowiton.
Bromley, a market town and parish of England, in the county of Kent, 10 m. S. E. of London; pop. in 1871,5,924. It consists chiefly of one long and neatly built street,' contains some good houses, a well endowed school, a handsome college, founded by Bishop Werner in 1666 for the residence and support of 40 clergymen's widows, and a Gothic church, containing the tomb of Dr. Johnson's wife.
Bromoform, CHBr3, a chemical compound analogous to chloroform, in which 3 atoms of hydrogen are replaced by 3 atoms of bromine. It is a colorless liquid, sp. gr. 2.13, with an agreeable odor and sweetish taste. It possesses anaesthetic properties, but cannot be recommended for that purpose as a substitute for chloroform. It is produced by the simultaneous action of bromine and caustic potash on wood-spirit, alcohol, or acetone.
Bromsgrove, a town of Worcestershire, England, 12 m. S. S. W. of Birmingham; pop. in 1871, 13,739. It is situated in a highly cultivated valley, on the river Salwarp, near the Birmingham and Worcester canal. The principal church has a fine tower and spire, and contains many ancient monuments of the Talbot-Shrewsbury family; an inscription from one of them, erected to the memory of the great Lord Talbot, who died in 1453, and his two wives, was in 1871 given in evidence in the great Shrewsbury case. The town contains several places of worship and a free grammar school. Nails, buttons, and needles are manufactured here; and in the adjoining parish of Stoke Prior are famous salt and alkali works. In the reign of Edward II., when the linen trade was extensive, the town returned two members to parliament; but on the decline of that trade, the inhabitants asked to be relieved from representation in parliament.
Bronchi (Gr. , the windpipe), the two main branches into which the trachea divides, at the upper part of the chest, in passing to the lungs. They are nearly cylindrical tubes composed of a series of cartilaginous rings, connected with each other by a strong fibro-elastic membrane and lined by a continuation of the mucous membrane of the trachea. The cartilaginous rings serve to keep the bronchi open and pervious for the passage of the air in inspiration. Immediately before entering the lungs each of the bronchi divides, the right into three branches, the left into two, corresponding with the number of lobes of the right and left lung respectively. These branches themselves afterward divide and subdivide in the interior of the- lungs, forming the "bronchial tubes," which finally convey the air to the pulmonary lobules and air vesicles.