Buckau, a town of Germany, in the Prussian province of Saxony, on the Elbe, closely adjoining Magdeburg; pop. in 1871, 9,696. It has several flourishing manufactories, embracing the machine works of the Hamburg and Magdeburg steamship company.
Buckeburg, a town of Germany, capital of the principality of Schaumberg-Lippe, on the river Aa, 6 m. E. S. E. of Minden; pop. in 1867, 4,214. It has a large castle, surrounded by a park, and a gymnasium. In the vicinity is the summer palace of Baum.
Buchu (Barosma crenata).
See Horse Chestnut.
Buckinghamshire, Or Bucks, an inland county of England, bounded N. by Northamptonshire, E. by Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire, and Middlesex, W. by Oxfordshire, and separated from Berkshire on the S. by the river Thames; area, 730 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 175,870. The surface is pleasantly diversified, the northern parts being undulating, the middle occupied by the fertile vale of Aylesbury, and the southern traversed by the Chiltern hills. The principal rivers are the Thames, Thame, Ouse, and Colne. The most important productions are butter, cattle, lambs, and poultry. The Aylesbury sheep are famous for the weight and excellent quality of their fleeces. Buckingham, Aylesbury, Mariow, and Wycombe are the chief towns. The Northwestern and Great Western railways, and the Grand Junction canal, pass through the county.
Bucksport, a town of Hancock co., Me., on the E. bank of the Penobscot, just above Orphan island and the narrows, and 16 m. S. of Bangor; pop. in 1870, 3,433. During the war of 1812-'15 it was captured by the English. A large, substantial fort, built in 1846-'50, on the opposite bank, at a bend of the river, now commands the narrows and the river in both directions. The town is regularly laid out on a rising slope. Neat and tasteful houses, with overshadowing trees, give it a very pretty appearance from the river. As the Penobscot seldom freezes at this point, Bucksport becomes the winter harbor for Bapgor vessels, as well as for its own commerce. There are two hotels, a savings bank, a national bank, four ship yards, and several manufacturing establishments; a Congregational and four Methodist churches, and a male and female seminary, with a library of 1,200 volumes, under the control of the Methodists.
Bucyrus, a town and the capital of Crawford co., Ohio, on the Sandusky river, 60 m. N. of Columbus; pop. in 1870, 3,066. The Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne, and Chicago railroad passes through it. There are several churches, good schools, a bank, a number of manufactories, and two weekly newspapers. In the vicinity are mineral springs and a well of inflammable gas. In 1848 a specimen of the mastodon in good preservation was found near the town.