A river of western Russia, rises in Galicia, flows N. and N. W., forming for a considerable distance the E. boundary of the Russian kingdom of Poland, then enters Poland, flows S. W., and after receiving the Narew falls into the Vistula, 18 m. N. W. of Warsaw. Its entire course is upward of 300 m., and it is navigable for some distance, although shallow in summer. II. A river of southern Russia, more properly called Bog, rises in the north of Podolia, pursues a S. E. course of about 400 m., and below Nikolayev falls into the estuary of the Dnieper, which opens into the Black sea. It is navigable as far as Vosnosensk, about 75 m. from its mouth; above that point it is obstructed by rocks and sand banks.
Bulama, the easternmost of the Bissagos islands, off the W. coast of Africa, 20 m. S. of Bissao; lat. 11° 34' N., Ion. 15° 33' W. It is about 18 m. long by 9 m. wide, densely wooded and fertile, but unhealthy. The land rises from the coast toward the centre, where the elevation is about 100 ft. above the sea. It has a good harbor. In 1792 an English company, called the Bulama association, sent out here a colony of 275 adventurers, most of whom were soon earned off by disease. (See Beaver, Philip).
Bullitt, a N. county of Kentucky; area, 250 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 7,781, of whom 1,194 were colored. It is watered by Salt river, and the Rolling fork of that river touches its S. W. boundary. The surface is hilly and the soil fertile. Pine woods abound, and there are numerous mines of superior iron ore. The Louisville and Nashville railroad, the Bardstown branch, and the Lebanon branch pass through the county. The Parroquet Springs (sulphur) are near Shepherdsville. The chief productions in 1870 were 34,752 bushels of wheat, 337,320 of Indian corn, 82,739 of oats, and 3,G06 tons of hay. There were 2,472 horses, 1,688 milch cows, 2,117 other cattle, 4,801 sheep, and 12,570 swine. Capital, Shepherdsville.
Bulrush (scirpus lacustris, Linn.), an aquatic plant, with a large cylindrical stem from 3 to 8 ft. high, the sheath often bearing a small, linear, awl-shaped leaf, and the culm tipped with an erect and pointed involucral leaf. It has numerous spikes in a compound umbel - like panicle, and ovate, swordshaped scales.
It is a native of Europe, and is now common in rivers and ponds on the continent, in England, North America, and New South Wales. The root was formerly used in medicine for its astringent and diuretic qualities. The leaves and stem are tough and fibrous, and are employed for thatching, and for making matting and chair bottoms.
Bultistan, Or Little Thibet Bulti, a state of central Asia, tributary to the rulers of Cashmere, in the N. W. part of the Himalaya, on the N. slope of the chain, and in the valley of the Indus; area estimated at 12,000 sq. m.; pop. about 75,000. It is a table land 6,000 ft. above sea level, and the surrounding peaks rise 7,000 ft. higher. The climate is therefore cold, though European fruits abound. The inhabitants are Tartars, and their religion Mohammedan. The land was made tributary by Gholab Singh about 1846. Until then it was an independent state, the last ruler having been Ahmed Shah. The capital is Iskardoh, on the Indus.