Buncombe, a S. W. county of North Carolina, near the Tennessee border; area, 450 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 15,412, of whom 2,303 were colored. It is occupied in great part by mountains and valleys of the Appalachian system. The Blue Ridge is on or near the S. E. boundary. The French Broad river is the principal stream. The soil is fertile, and affords excellent pasturage. In the N. W. part are celebrated warm springs. The Western North Carolina railroad is to pass through it. The chief productions in 1870 were 66,656 bushels of wheat, 14,704 of rye, 324,566 of Indian corn, 43,799 of oats, 24,347 lbs. of wool, and 30,689 of tobacco. There were 1,966 horses, 4,151 milch cows, 6,433 other cattle, 12,355 sheep, and 16,135 swine. Capital, Asheville. - The phrase " talking for Buncombe" originated with a member of congress from this county. (See Americanisms).
Bundelcund, Or The Bnndela Country, one of the Central Provinces of India, between lat. 23° 52' and 26° 26' N., Ion. 77° 53' and 81° 39' E.; area, 18,099 sq. m.; pop. about 2,500,000. It comprises the British districts of Bandah, Hum-raerpoor, and Calpee, Jaloou, Jeitpoor, Chur-gaon, and Gurota, and a number of petty native states and jaghires, all under British protection. It is a hilly country, traversed by the three ranges of the Bindyachal, Bandair, and Panna, the last of which is rich in diamonds and coal. From these mountains flow numerous rivers, including the Betwah, Tama-sa, and Cane, all affluents of the Jumna, which flows along the N. E. boundary. The soil produces almost every kind of grain and fruit known in India. The climate is healthy in some places, but in others, chiefly in the west, is fatal to Europeans. The chief towns are Calpee, Bandah, Jhansi, Chatturpoor, Jaloon, and Callinger.
Bunzlau, a town of Prussian Silesia, in the district of Liegnitz, on the Bober, 63 m. W. N. W. of Breslau; pop. in 1871, 8,817. Cloth, linens, tobacco, and earthenware are manufactured here, and there is trade in yarns and in grain. The poet Opitz was born here, and an obelisk to the Russian general Kutuzoff, who died here in 1813, stands in the market place. The town dates from the end of the 12th century. It suffered severely during the thirty years' war.
Bupalus, a Greek sculptor, who flourished in Chios in the latter part of the 6th century B. 0. He was the son of the statuary Anther-mus, and executed some fine works, several of which in the time of Augustus adorned the temples of Rome. He and his brother Athenis made the use of Parian marble more general, and were the first to group figures in sculpture. They caricatured Hipponax, who revenged himself upon them in his satires.
Buphaga, a genus of birds. See Oxpecker.
Burano, an island and village of Italy, in the lagoon and 5 m. N. E. of Venice; pop. 5,700. The soil is mostly devoted to gardening, and there are manufactories of lace. About half the inhabitants live by fishing.