Burbage, Or Burbadge, Richard, an English actor, died in London, March 13, 1619. He was the son of the actor James Burbage, who was the first to receive in 1574 a royal license as a player. Richard acquired celebrity by his association with Shakespeare, and by his admirable performance of Richard III. and other Shakespearian characters. In the royal license granted in, 1603, his name was inserted with that of Shakespeare. Flecknoe calls him a "delightful Proteus," and Sir Richard Baker describes him as the best actor of his day. He is believed to have excelled also as a painter, and to have painted the Felton portrait of Shakespeare.
Burdekin, a river on the N. E. coast of Australia, in the N. part of the colony of Queensland. It flows S. E. about 230 m., then E., N., and again E., to Upstart bay; total length about 350 m. It was first discovered by Leichardt, and in 1859 investigated more fully by Dalrymple.
Burdwan, a city of Hindostan, capital of a British district of the same name in the presidency of Bengal, situated on the left bank of the Dummodah, and on the Grand Trunk railway, 58 m. N. W. of Calcutta; pop. about 55,000. It consists mainly of a crowded assemblage of wretched mud houses, with few handsome buildings. The residence of the titular rajah is a collection of various-colored houses surrounded by gardens, and remarkable for size and want of symmetry. The town contains English government and military schools, the residences of European civil functionaries, and factories of silk and cotton. In the vicinity are indigo works, and an artificial pool surrounded by an ornamented portico, much resorted to by bathers.
Bureau, a N. W. county of Illinois, bounded S. E. by Illinois river, which is here navigable by steamboats; area, 800 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 32,415. The surface is but little elevated, and the soil is generally fertile. Timber is scarce. The Chicago and Rock Island railroad and its Peoria branch, and the Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy and its Buda and Rushville branch, intersect the county. The chief productions in 1870 were 465,960 bushels of wheat, 43,811 of rye, 3,030,404 of Indian corn, 987,426 of oats, 98,732 of barley, 234,580 of potatoes, 62,099 tons of hay, 580,287 lbs. of butter, and 45,633 of wool. There were 19,193 horses, 13,590 milch cows, 28,999 other cattle, 9,679 sheep, and 50,674 swine. Capital, Princeton.
A town of Prussia, in the province of Saxony, on the Ihle, 13 m. N. E. of Magdeburg; pop. in 1871, 15,184, partly descendants of Palatinate, French, and Walloon settlers. The service of one of the four churches is performed in French. The Protestant refugees contributed much toward the ancient cloth manufactures, which now give employment to about 10,000 persons. Until the close of the 17th century Burg formed part of the principality of Querfurt, and afterward it became part of Brandenburg and Prussia. H A town of Prussia, in the district of Dusseldorf, on the Wupper, 7 m. S. of Elberfeld; pop. about 2,000. It has important manufactures, especially of hardware and of ribbons.