Burgdorf (Fr. Berthoud), a town of Switzerland, on the Emmen, in the canton and 11m. N. E. of Bern; pop. in 1870, 5,078. It was formerly the capital of Little Burgundy, the castle being then of great strength. In the vicinity are the baths of Sommerhaus. From 1798 to 1804 Pestalozzi resided in the cMteau of Burgdorf, which he converted into a school.
See France, Wines of.
Burke, AEdanus, an American jurist, born in Gal way, Ireland, in 1743, died in Charleston, S. C, in March, 1802. He was educated for the church, but became a lawyer, and after a visit to the West Indies went to South Carolina and served as a volunteer in the revolutionary army. In 1778 he was appointed judge of the supreme court of the newly organized state. When Charleston was captured in 1780, he again joined the army, and in 1782 returned to the bench. He opposed the adoption of the federal constitution because he feared consolidated power, and wrote a pamphlet against the aristocratic features of the society of the Cincinnati, which was translated into French by Mirabeau. He was a member of congress in 1789-91, of the state legislature for a number of years, and eventually became chancellor of South Carolina. He was witty, accomplished, upright, and eccentric.
Burleson, a central county of Texas, bounded E. by the Brazos river, S. by the Yegua, one of its branches, and watered by affluents of the Yegua; area, 976 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 8,072, of whom 3,021 were colored. The surface is uneven; the soil of the lowlands is a sandy loam, in many places very productive; that of the uplands is lighter. About three fourths of the surface is covered with oak forests. The chief productions in 1870 were 223,929 bushels of Indian corn, 6,423 bales of cotton, and 14,200 lbs. of wool. There were 3,117 horses, 4,110 milch cows, 13,908 other cattle, 6,163 sheep, and 14,915 swine. Capital, Caldwell.
Burnet, a central county of Texas, bounded W. by the Colorado river, which intersects its S. W. portion, and watered by affluents of Little river, a branch of the Brazos; area, 995 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 3,688, of whom 358 were colored. The falls of the Colorado are in this county. The surface is rocky, broken by hills, and in some parts mountainous. The soil is a rich loam. Cedar brakes cover a large part of the surface; oak and elms are also found. Various kinds of marble, from pure white to jet black, are abundant; coal, iron ore, fine limestone, and traces of gold are found. Petroleum has been discovered at the county seat. The chief productions in 1870 were 6,020 bushels of wheat, 142,900 of Indian corn, 408 bales of cotton, and 13,870 lbs. of wool. There were 2,726 horses, 3,023 milch cows, 20,865 other cattle, 5,792 sheep, and 13,847 swine. Capital, Burnet, 40 m. N. W. of Austin.
Burnett, a N. W. county of Wisconsin, separated on the W. and N. W. from Minnesota by the St. Croix river, and watered by its affluents; area, 1,100 sq.m.; pop. in 1870, 706. It contains many small lakes. The chief productions in 1870 were 2,553 bushels of wheat, 1,340 of oats, 1,955 of potatoes, and 1,655 tons of hay. Capital, Gordon.