Burrhus, Or Bnrrus, Afranins, a Roman commander, died A. D. 62. He acquired great popularity, and Claudius, at the suggestion of Agrippina, appointed him in 52 sole prefect of the praetorians, which enabled him after the death of that emperor to promote Nero's elevation to the throne. With Seneca he succeeded for some time in restraining the excesses of Nero, opposed the murderous designs of Agrippina, and subsequently refused to become Nero's accomplice an her assassination and in that of Octavia. Nero is generally believed to have had him poisoned; but according to some authorities, Burrhus ordered his soldiers to congratulate Nero upon the consummation of his matricide, shared in the spoils of Britannicus, and died a natural death.
Burslem, a parish and market town of Staffordshire, England, 16 m. N. of Stafford; pop. in 1871, 27,107. It is the principal town in the district called "The Potteries," on the Birmingham and Liverpool railway, and contains a number of large factories, villas, churches, and several public buildings. Here is found a variety of clays which are used in the manufacture of porcelain and earthenwares. Early in the 17th century it was the chief place in England for the production of earthenware, at first of a rude and homely kind, but afterward brought to great perfection by Josiah Wedge-wood, who was born at Burslem in 1730.
Burt, an E. county of Nebraska, separated from Iowa on the E. by the Missouri river, and intersected by Middle creek; area, 500 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 2,847. The Omaha and Northwestern railroad (in progress) is to pass through the S. W. part, and a branch to Tekama in the S. E. part is contemplated. The chief productions in 1870 were 134,062 bushels of wheat, 157,152 of Indian corn, 73,724 of oats, 9,036 tons of hay, and 56,969 lbs. of butter. There were 1,134 horses, 1,143 milch cows, 1,694 other cattle, 1,161 sheep, and 1,924 swine. Capital, Tekama.
Burtscheid (Fr. Borcette), a town of Prussia, in the province of the Rhine, on the river Worm, close by Aix-la-Chapelle, of which it is almost.a continuation; pop. in 1871, 10,079. It contains several manufactories, especially of cloths and needles, and some celebrated sulphur springs and baths, whose temperature is from 106° to 155°. It had formerly a famous abbey.
Bushrod Washington, an American jurist, born in Westmoreland co., Va., June 5, 1762, died in Philadelphia, Nov. 26, 1829. He was the son of John Augustine Washington, a younger brother of George Washington. In the winter of 1780-81 he volunteered in a troop of horse commanded by Col. J. F. Mercer, and continued in the service till the disbanding of the troop after the siege of Yorktown. He afterward studied law in Philadelphia, practised in his native county, in 1787 was elected to the Virginia house of delegates, and in 1788 was a member of the convention to ratify the constitution of the United States. In 1798 President Adams appointed him one of the judges of the supreme court of the United States. By the will of Gen. Washington he became the possessor of the Mount Vernon estate, and resided there; he bequeathed it to his nephew, John Augustine Washington.