Bute, an island of Scotland, in the frith of Clyde, separated from the district of Cowall in Argyleshire by a narrow channel called the Kyles of Bute, 16 m. long and 3 to 5 m. wide; area, 60 sq. m.; pop. about 9,500. The surface in the northern parts is rugged and mountainous; the central and southern portions are undulating and tolerably fertile. The temperature is mild and equable, and the island is much resorted to by invalids. Most of the inhabitants speak Gaelic, but English is daily becoming more prevalent. There are three small lakes, Fad, Ascog, and Quein. The town of Rothesay, once the residence of the Scottish monarchs, is pleasantly situated on the E. coast, and Mountstuart, the seat of the marquis of Bute, the chief proprietor, is near it.
Buteshire, a county of Scotland, consisting of the islands of Bute, Arran, Inchmarnoch, and the Oumbrays, and the small islands of Lamlach and Pladda, in the frith of Clyde; area, 171 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 16,977. It returns one member to parliament. The inhabitants of these islands are principally engaged in agriculture and fishing; there are some quarries and coal mines. Rothesay, the county town, in the island of Bute, is a watering place.
Butts, a central county of Georgia, bounded E. by the Ockmulgee river, and watered by several creeks; area, 240 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 6,941, of whom 3,445 were colored. The surface is somewhat uneven, and the soil fertile. The chief productions in 1870 were 23,425 bushels of wheat, 126,339 of Indian corn, 19,-380 of sweet potatoes, and 2,926 bales of cotton. There were 661 horses, 1,319 milch cows, 2,366 other cattle, 1,568 sheep, and 6,223 swine. Capital, Jackson.
Butters, in chemistry, an old name applied to substances having at the ordinary temperature the consistency of butter. The word was originally restricted to anhydrous chlorides of the metals, as for example butter of antimony, bismuth, tin, and zinc. It was afterward applied to vegetable fats, as butter of orris, cacao, cocoa, and nutmeg. The word is at present little used, although retained in some of the pharmacopoeias.
Buttisholz, a village and parish of Switzerland, in the canton and 11 m. N. W. of Lucerne; pop. in 1870, 1,596. In its vicinity is a remarkable mound called Englanderhiibel, or "Englishman's hillock." It is the grave of a large number of Englishmen, followers of Enguerrand or Ingelram de Coucy, son-in-law of Edward III. and earl of Bedford. This nobleman, in the course of a quarrel with Leopold of Austria, began to devastate the Swiss cantons, when he was defeated by the peasants near Buttisholz, and his troops were cut to pieces (1375).
Button Gwinnett, one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence, born in England about 1732, died in Georgia, May 27, 1777. He emigrated from Bristol to America in 1770, engaged for two years in trade in Charleston, and then purchased a tract of land on St. Catharine's island, Georgia, and devoted himself to agriculture. He became conspicuous in 1775 as an advocate of colonial rights, was elected a representative to congress in February, 1776, and in 1777 became president of the provincial council of Georgia. He planned a military expedition against East Florida, which he refused to intrust to his rival Gen. Mcintosh, whose official rank entitled him to command it, and which resulted disastrously. This event led to a duel between him and Gen. Mcintosh, in which he was mortally wounded.