Cabinda, a seaport town of Lower Guinea, in the territory of Loango, on the Atlantic, in lat. 5° 30' S., 50 m. N. of the mouth of the Congo; pop. about 16,000. On account of the fertility of the soil and its beautiful situation, it is sometimes called the paradise of the coast.
Cabra (anc. AEgabrum), a town of Andalusia, Spain, in the province and 30 m. S. S. E. of Cordova; pop. about 12,000. It lies between two hills, upon a river of the same name, and contains a Dominican convent, cathedral, college, hospital, and theatre. Near by are mineral springs, the crater of an extinct volcano, and the fine grotto of Jarcas. There are manufactories of tiles, linen, and woollen, and an annual fair held in September.
Cache, a N. E. county of Utah, bordering on Idaho, watered by Bear river and its tributaries; area, 700 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 8,229. The chief productions in 1870 were 18,577 bushels of wheat, 3,074 of Indian corn, 7,583 of oats, 2,547 of barley, 21,837 of potatoes, and 2,443 tons of hay. There were 428 horses, 798 milch cows, 804 other cattle, 3,167 sheep, and 121 swine. Capital, Logan.
Cacus, a giant, said to have been the son of Yulcan, and represented by the classic poets as a monster who continually vomited forth fire and smoke. He dwelt in a cave on Mount Aveptine, and was the terror of the inhabitants of the surrounding country, whose cattle he stole and dragged backward into his den. so that his cave could not be discovered by their tracks. Having stolen from Hercules some of the cattle of Geryon, he was slain by that hero. The story is told by Livy and Virgil.
Caddis Fly, the popular name of the family of phryganidce, neuropterous insects with broad and parallel-veined wings, and long antennas. The larvas live at the bottom of ponds and streams, in cases made of bits of wood, grains of sand, small stones, shells, etc, cemented together by the secretions of the animal, and lined with silk; this protects the larvas, which can put out or draw in the head as occasion requires. They drag the case along with them, whether crawling, swimming, or at the surface; they load one side to keep it down with great dexterity. The half-banded caddis fly (neuronia fasciata, Say) is about an inch long, of a tawny color, with an expanse of wings of more than 14 inch.
Caddo, a N. W. parish of Louisiana, bounded N. by Arkansas, E. by Red river and the great raft, and W. by Texas; area, 1,200 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 21,714, of whom 15,799 were colored. During eight months of the year the Red river is navigable as far as Shreveport. The surface of the parish is undulating, and is partly occupied by Soda and Caddo lakes, which communicate with Red river and with each other, and are navigable by steamboats. The Southern Pacific railroad passes through the parish W. of Shreveport, and the North Louisiana and Texas railroad will connect that place with Vicksburg. The productions in 1870 were 384,824 bushels of Indian corn, 56,705 of sweet potatoes, and 26,387 bales of cotton. There were 844 horses, 3,579 mules and asses, 2,173 milch cows, 7,434 other cattle, 2,157 sheep, and 6,886 swine. Capital, Shreveport.