Calumet, an E. county of Wisconsin, along the E. shore of Winnebago lake; area, 360 sq. m. pop. in 1870, 12,335. The surface is mountainous, a high ridge running across the county nearly parallel with the lake. The soil is fertile, timber is abundant, and pasturage is good. The chief productions in 1870 were 340,040 bushels of wheat, 42,344 of Indian corn, 175,294 of oats, 13,230 tons of hay, 305,386 lbs. of butter, 34,801 of wool, and 20,000 of hops. There were 2,776 horses, 4,186 milch cows, 4,877 other cattle, 9,488 sheep, and 5,650 swine. Capital, Chilton.
Calumick, Or Calumet, a river which rises in Porter co., Ind., flows eastward into Illinois, and there divides. One of its branches enters Lake Michigan a few miles S. of Chicago; the other makes a bend, runs eastward parallel with its former course, and only 3 or 4 m. N. of it recrosses the Indiana boundary, and discharges its waters into Lake Michigan, in Lake county.
Calvaert, Or Calvart, Denis, called by the Italians Fiammingo, a Flemish painter of the Bolognese school, born in Antwerp in 1555, died in Bologna in 1619. He had a school in Bologna, thronged by pupils, including Guido, Albano, and Domenichino.
Calvary (the Latin translation of the He-. brew name Golgotha, a skull), a locality N. of Jerusalem and outside the walls. The place took this name either from being a mound shaped like a skull, or from its being the place of public executions. It was the scene of the crucifixion of Christ, whose body was laid in a sepulchre prepared in a garden near by, which belonged to Joseph of Arimathea, a secret disciple. (See Jerusalem).
Calvert, a S. county of Maryland, on the W. shore of Chesapeake bay; area, 250 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 9,865, of whom 5,533 were colored. The Patuxent river forms its W. boundary, and falls into the bay at the S. extremity of the county. The surface is rolling; the soil is good, and much improved by the application of marl, which is found here in considerable quantity. The chief productions in 1870 were 38,623 bushels of wheat, 178,409 of Indian corn, 28,740 of oats, and 3,158,200 lbs. of tobacco. There were 1,814 horses, 1,280 milch cows, 2,807 other cattle, 3,109 sheep, and 4,723 swine. Capital, Prince Frederick.
Calvin Pease, an American clergyman, born at Canaan,.Conn., Aug. 12, 1813, died in Burlington, Vt., Sept. 17, 1863. He graduated at the university of Vermont in 1838, and in 1842 became professor of Latin and Greek there, and in December, 1855, president of the university. In the latter year he was ordained to the Congregational ministry, having been licensed to preach about five years previously. He was chosen president of the Vermont board of education on its organization in 1856, and took a leading part in unifying the common school system of the state. In the same year he became president of the Vermont teachers' association. In the winter of 1861-'2, on account of his health, he accepted the pastorate of the first Presbyterian church (Old School) in Rochester, N. Y., where he was especially active during the revival of 1863. He published several sermons and addresses.