Camenz, Or Kamenz, a town of Saxony, on the Black Elster, 22 m. N. E. of Dresden; pop. in 1871, 6,406. It is the birthplace of Lessing, and contains a hospital dedicated to his memory Jan. 3, 1826. The town was almost wholly destroyed by fire in 1742.
Camille Felix Michel Rousset, a French historian, born in Paris, Feb. 15, 1821. He studied at the university of Paris, and was professor of history at the collége Bourbon. His principal works are: Histoire de Louvois et de son administration politique et militaire (4 vols., 1861-'3), and Correspondance de Louis XV. et du maréchalde Noailles (2 vols., 1865).
Camillo Ranzani, an Italian naturalist, born in Bologna, June 22, 1775, died there, April 23, 1841. He was educated at Bologna, and at the age of 22 became professor of philosophy in the university of Fano, where he received holy orders, and taught till 1798. Political disturbances compelling him to return to Bologna, he was appointed keeper of the botanic garden, and in 1803 professor of natural history in the university, of which he became rector in 1824. His chief work is his uncompleted Elementi di zoologia (10 vols., 1819 et seq.).
Cammin, Or Kammin, a town of Pomerania, Prussia, on the Dievenow, near the Baltic sea, 37 m. N. of Stettin; pop. in 1871, 5,261. It is the seat of a female normal school and a hospital. The chief occupation of the inhabitants is distillation and fishing. The bishopric of Cammin was suppressed in 1648, but the chapter continued down to 1812.
Campanha, an inland town of Brazil, in the province of Minas Geraes, 180 m. N. W. of Rio de Janeiro; lat. 21° 42' S., Ion. 46° 48' W.; pop. 3,200. The streets are regular, and cross each other at right angles; the houses, for the most part built of mud and detached, are surrounded each by a garden. There are several churches, a college, two schools, a theatre, hospital, prison, and town hall. The inhabitants are mainly occupied in mining.
Campbeltown, a seaport and royal borough of Argyleshire, Scotland, on the E. coast of the peninsula of Cantire, 38 m. W. of Ayr; pop. in 1871, 6,628. It has many distilleries and malt kilns, and the inhabitants are extensively engaged in the herring fishery. Steamship lines connect it with Glasgow and with Ireland.
When camphor is decomposed by the action of strong nitric acid and several times distilled, an acid is obtained of the above name, in fine transparent plates or needles, the composition of which is represented bv the formula C10H7O3 + HO.
Campi. I. Ginlio, an Italian painter, born in Cremona about 1500, died in 1572. He was a pupil of Giulio Romano at Mantua, and studied the works of Raphael, Titian, and Correggio. Establishing himself at Cremoria, he attempted to combine the excellences of the northern Italian and Roman schools, whence he was called the Ludovico Carracci of Cremona, although he conceived the idea of an eclectic style previous to the establishment of the school of the Carracci. His most considerable works were executed at Milan, Cremona, and Mantua. He painted in a free and vigorous manner, and was a fair colorist. II. Bernardino, a kinsman of the preceding, born at Cremona in 1522, died about 1590. He was the scholar and eventually became the rival of Giulio Campi. His chief work is a prodigious composition in the cupola of St. Gismundi at Cremona, representing an assemblage of all the blessed of the Old and New Testaments, which he completed in seven months.