A province (formerly Mo-lise) of S. Italy, bounded N. W. by Chieti, E. by Foggia, S. by Benevento, and S. W. by Caserta; area, 1,777 sq. m.; pop. in 1872, 363,-943. It comprises the three districts of Campo-basso, Isernia, and Larino. It is throughout mountainous, the highest point, Monte Miletto, attaining a height of 6,740 ft. At the lower course of the Biferno is the small plain of Larino. The Biferno is the most important river. The province has several manufactories of steel and iron ware. The soil is in general not so fertile as in the other provinces of southern Italy; among the principal products are grain, wine, and vegetables. II. The capital of the province, situated upon a mountain, 55 m. N. N. E. of Naples; pop. about 14,000. It has a cathedral, four churches, several convents, a lyceum, gymnasium, theatre, hospital, almshouse, and a ruined castle. It is the central mart for the grain trade of the province, and enjoys some reputation for its cutlery.
Campoformio, Or Campo For-Mido Campo Formio, a village of N. Italy, province of Udine, on the canal of Roja, 55 m. N. E. of Venice; pop. about 1,600. A treaty of peace between France and Austria, terminating Gen. Bonaparte's campaigns in Italy, was concluded here Oct. 17, 1797. (See Bonaparte, Napoleon, vol. iii., p. 39).
Canada Cobourg. See Coburg.
The term Canadaquois was applied by the earliest French writers to a tribe on the N. shore of the St. Lawrence, below Quebec, and apparently the tribe now known as Nasquapees. When the country obtained the name of Canada the term was generalized, and Brebeuf's "Huron or Wyandot Catechism " (Rouen, 1630) is called Canadian.
Canadian River rises near Fisher's peak, among the Sierra Blanco mountains, in New Mexico, about 125 m. N. E. of Santa Fe, and after flowing S. for about 150 m. turns E., passes through portions of Texas and the Indian territory, and enters the Arkansas river about 250 m. from its mouth. Its total course is about 600 m. Although during the dry months it is a shallow stream, the melted snows and ice of spring swell its waters so much that it frequently overflows its banks. The North Fork is its principal tributary.
Canajoharie, a village and township of Montgomery co., N. Y., on the Mohawk river and the Erie canal, 50 m. N. W. of Albany; pop. of the township in 1870, 4,256; of the village, 1,822. It contains a number of churches, a bank, and an academy. There are stone quarries in the vicinity.
Canandaigua, the capital of Ontario co., New York, situated at the N. end of the lake of the same name, 24 m. S. E. of Rochester; pop. of the township in 1870, 7,274; of the village, 4,862. The New York Central railroad is here joined by the Canandaigua branch from Rochester to Elmira, and by the Canandaigua, Black Rock, and Tonawanda railroad. From the upper part of the village the ground slopes gradually toward the shores of the lake, affording a magnificent view. Many of the residences are surrounded by line gardens and grounds ornamented with great taste. There are several churches, a court house, academy, and two weekly newspapers. The lake is 15 m. long and from 3/4 to 1 1/2 m. wide.