Cantium, in ancient geography, the district in Britain which nearly corresponded to the present county of Kent. The inhabitants (Cantii) were spoken of by Caesar as being the most civilized of the native British tribes.
Canton River (Chinese, Choo-Uang, or Pearl river), the lower part of the Pe-kiang, a river of China flowing through the province of Quang-tung. Opposite the city of Canton, and for some distance below, it is filled with small islands, planted with rice, and defended by a number of forts. It is here crowded with shipping, and deep enough to admit vessels of 1,000 tons burden. The ships of foreign nations, however, discharge and receive their cargoes at Whampoa, a place 12 m. lower. At a point about 40 m. below Canton the river expands into an estuary 20 m. wide, and takes the name of Boca Tigris.
A city of Canton township, and the seat of justice of Stark co., Ohio, about 100 m. N. E. of Columbus; pop. in 1870, 8,660. It is situated on Nimishillen creek, in the midst of the finest wheat-growing district in the state. Bituminous coal and limestone are found in the vicinity. Considerable manufacturing is carried on. There is a high school, 6 grammar, 12 primary, and 3 corporate schools. There are three weekly newspapers, of which one is in German, and two monthly periodicals. The Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne, and Chicago railroad passes through it. II. A city of Fulton co., 111., on the Toledo, Peoria, and Warsaw railroad, and the Buda and Rushville branch of the Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy railroad, about 50 m. N. by W. of Springfield; pop. in 1870, 3,308. It is situated in a fertile district, abounding in coal, and contains manufactories.
Cantu, Or Cantnrio, a town of N. Italy, in the province and 5 m. S. E. of Como, situated in a beautiful region on the Brianza; pop. of the commune about 7,000. It is walled and entered by six gates. The fine bell tower of the parish church, with its projecting battlements, was used as a beacon in the middle ages, and then corresponded with that upon the neighboring Mt. Baradello. In the vicinity are some iron works.
Cape Ann, the S. E. point of the town of Rockport, Essex co., Mass., the N. limit of Massachusetts bay, 4 m. N. E. of Gloucester, and 31 m. N. E. of Boston; lat. 42° 38' N Ion. 70° 35' W. The whole of the rocky peninsula forming the town of Rockport and part of Gloucester is also called Cape Ann, including the village of Squam in its N. W. part. This peninsula is a headland of syenite, which forms low hills, over the surface of which the rock is very generally exposed to view. The lands are strewn with bowlders, many of great size; and beds of pure white sand are intermixed with the ledges and bowlders. Valuable quarries of syenite for building purposes are worked conveniently for shipment. The place is much exposed to the prevalent N". E. storms; but it offers a small, well sheltered harbor among the rocks, where coasting vessels often take refuge. There are on the shores of this harbor two fixed lights, 500 to 600 yards apart, 90 ft. above the water.