Cape Haytien, Or Haitien(formerly Cape Francais and Cape Henry), a seaport town on the N. coast of Hayti. Before the Haytian revolution broke out it was a handsome city, and some traces of its former elegance still remain. It has the safest harbor of Hayti, tolerably defended, and a fair trade with the United States, Great Britain, France, and Germany. In 1789 it had 18,500 inhabitants; before the earthquake of 1842 it had still 9,000; in 1851 the population had diminished to about 6,000, but in 1871 it was estimated at 15,000. Upon the reorganization of the Catholic church Cape Haytien was made the seat of a bishopric.
Cape Henlopen, a promontory on the E. coast of Delaware, at the entrance of Delaware bay, 13 m. S. S. W. of Cape May; lat. 38° 47' N., Ion. 75° 5' 30" W. On it is situated a fixed light, 182 feet above the level of the sea.
Cape Henry, a promontory on the coast of Virginia, at the S. entrance of Chesapeake bay, 12 m. S. by W. of Cape Charles; lat. 36° 56' N., Ion. 76° 4' W. It has a fixed light, 120 ft. above the level of the sea.
Cape Horn, a headland of an island of the Fuegian archipelago, commonly regarded as the S. extremity of America; lat. 55° 59' S.,Ion. 67° 14' W. It is a steep, black rock, with bare and lofty sides and pointed summits. It was formerly considered a very dangerous place to pass, but the difficulties of "doubling the cape " are now far less formidable. It is no longer doubled, however, by steamers, which now always pass through the strait of Magellan. It was first discovered by the English navigator Sir Francis Drake in 1578, unless he was anticipated, as is claimed, by Garcia Jofre de Loaya, a Spanish commodore, in 1525; but it was first doubled by the Dutch navigators Le-maire and Schouten, in 1616, the latter of whom gave it the name of his native city (Hoorn).
See Cape May.
Cape La Hague, a headland of France, forming the N. W. extremity of the peninsula of Cotentin, department of La Manche, and extending into the English channel, in lat. 49° 45' N., Ion. 1° 55' W., about 16 m. N. W. of Cherbourg On its summit is an ancient castle; and one of the most conspicuous lighthouses of the channel coast stands upon it, 160 ft. above the sea, its light being visible at a distance of nearly 15 m. The battle of La Hogue, 1692, in which the combined Dutch and English fleet defeated the French, was not fought off this cape, as is often erroneously stated, but off the fort of La Hogue or La Hougue, on the E. coast of Cotentin; the similarity of the names has caused some confusion as to the orthography of Cape La Hague.
Cape Lookout, a headland on the E. coast of North Carolina, 85 m. S. W. of Cape Hat-teras; lat. 34° 37' N., Ion. 76° 33' W. There is a lighthouse on the cape, with a light 100 ft. above the sea.
See Cape Lookout.