Carlton

Carlton, aN.E. county of Minnesota, bordering on Wisconsin; area, about 900 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 286. Its N. E. corner is intersected by the St. Louis river, and it is watered by Kettle river and several streams that fall into Lake Superior. The Northern Pacific and the Lake Superior and Mississippi railroads traverse it. The surface is uneven and partly covered with forests of pine and sugar maple.

Carmagnola

Carmagnola, a town of Italy, in the province and 18 m. S. S. E. of Turin, on the river Mella; pop. about 16,000. It is noted for its silk fairs, which take place in June, and contains several fine streets and public squares, five churches, and a hospital.

Carmarthen, Or Caermarthen

Carmarthen, Or Caermarthen, the chief town of Carmarthenshire, Wales, a municipal and parliamentary borough, situated upon the river Towy and upon the Great Western and South Wales railway; pop. in 1871, 10,499. It is the terminus of the Carmarthen and Cardigan railway from the north and of the Llandeilo railway from the east. Its site is uneven and its streets are irregular, but it commands a fine view of the Towy. It has a handsome guildhall with a grain market beneath, and a fine building for the assembly rooms. There are a grammar school, a Presbyterian seminary, a training college, national and infant schools, an infirmary, and literary and scientific institutions. There are iron and tin works in the neighborhood, and the town has a good foreign and coasting trade. The harbor is 3 m. below the town, near Carmarthen bay. Richard Steele was buried here.

Carmarthenshire

Carmarthenshire, a county of Wales, bordering on Cardiganshire, Brecknockshire, Glamorganshire, the British channel, and Pembrokeshire; area, 947 sq. m.; pop. in 1871,116,-944. It is mountainous, the highest range being the Mynydd Du or Black mountains in the southeast. The river Towy, rising in Cardiganshire, flows S. W. through the county, and falls into Carmarthen bay. The valleys are noted for the beauty of their scenery. The county is traversed by the South Wales and other railways. It was the scene of the final struggle of the Welsh under Llewellyn, their last native prince; and it was long in a disturbed state, as is shown by the castles, of which there are many remains.

Carmel

Carmel (Heb., wood land or garden land), a range of limestone hills in N. W. Palestine, terminating at the sea in the promontory of Mt. Carmel, forming the southern boundary of the bay of Acre. The average height is 1,500 ft., the highest elevation being 1,728 ft. above the sea. Carmel is celebrated for the salubrity of its climate and the fertility of its sides and slopes. Although cultivation has ceased, enough remains in the timber, the wild olive, and the pasture to bear out its ancient repute. It is also noted for its medicinal and aromatic herbs. It is the scene of some of the great events of Biblical history, having been the retreat of the prophets Elijah and Elisha. The brook Kishon runs at the foot of Carmel. A convent is situated on this mountain, where travellers are entertained. A few years ago a German colony settled at the foot and on the sides of Carmel, and introduced a system of cultivation which promises to restore its fertility.