Carolus Willielnms Opzoomer, a Dutch philosopher, born in Rotterdam, Sept. 20, 1821. He studied at Leyden, where he wrote a " Letter to Da Costa," and "Examination of the Dutch Annals of Theology," both attacking Christianity. In 1846 he became professor of philosophy in the university of Utrecht. Among his philosophical writings is Be weg der loetcn-schapen ("The Path of Knowledge," Utrecht, 1851; German translation, 1852), in which he advocated the most absolute rational empiricism. A revised edition was published as Ilet wezen der kennis (Amsterdam, 18G3).
Caroor, a town of British India, in the presidency of Madras, district of Coimbatoor, on the Ambrawutty river, near its junction with the Cavery, 38 m. W. N. W. of Triclii-nopoly, with which it is connected by railway. It contains about 1,000 houses, has near it a fort and a large temple, and has been in the possession of the British since 1760.
Carpaea, among the ancient Greeks, a kind of mimetic dance peculiar to the .AEnianes and Magnetes, in Thessaly. It was performed by two armed men, one representing a ploughman and the other a robber, in the following manner: The laborer, laying aside his arms, begins to plough with a yoke of oxen, frequently looking around as if in alarm. When the robber at length appears, the ploughman snatches up his arms, and a fight begins for the oxen. The movements are rhythmical, and accompanied by the flute, and at last the victor takes away the oxen and plough for his reward.
Carpathus. See Scarpanto.
Carpentras (anc. Carpentoracte), a city of France, in the department of Vaucluse, on the left bank of the Auzon, at the foot of Mont Ventoux, 15 m. N. E. of Avignon; pop. in 1866, 10,848. It is surrounded by high walls and beautiful walks, has a large Gothic cathedral with a spire of the age of Charlemagne, a departmental college, and a public library with 28,000 volumes and many valuable manuscripts. Under the Romans Carpentoracte was an important town of Gallia Narbonensis. Under Pope Clement V. in 1313 it was the seat of the holy see, to which with Avignon it belonged till 1791. From the 3d century till 1801 it was the seat of a bishopric.
Carpi. I. A town of Italy, in the province and 9 m. N. N. W. of Modena, on the canal of Secchia; pop. about 5,000. It has a citadel, walls, a cathedral, several churches, and a seminary, and is the seat of a bishop. Silk culture and the manufacture of straw hats are the chief branches of industry. It was the principal town of the principality of Pico till 1530, when it was acquired by Modena. II. A fortified town of Italy, in the province and 28 m. S. E. of Verona, on the Adige; pop. about 1,200. In 1701, during the war of the Spanish succession, the French were defeated here by Prince Eugene.
Carpino, a town of S. Italy, in the province of Capitanata, situated on Mt. Gargano, near Lake Varano, 22 m. N. E. of St. Severo; pop. about 6,000, including the whole commune. It contains several churches, and is situated in a region celebrated for picturesque scenery.