Carrageen, Or Irish Moss, a marine plant (chondrus crispus), which grows upon the rocks of the coasts of Europe, particularly of Ireland, and is said to be a native of the United States. It is collected for the preparation of a light and nutritious food for invalids, and is particularly recommended in pulmonary and scrofulous affections, dysentery, diarrhoea, etc. It is prepared by macerating it in cold water, in which it swells without dissolving, and which removes the taste of extraneous matters mixed with it. It is then boiled in water, of which three pints are used to the ounce of moss. Milk instead of water makes a more nutritious preparation. It dissolves and gelatinizes, and the jelly is flavored with lemon juice, and sweetened with sugar. (See AlgAE.)
Carrara, a city of Italy, in the province of Massa-Carrara, on the Avenza, 59 m. S. W. of Modena; pop. about 7,000. Its principal edifices are the college, the palace of the former dukes of Modena, the collegiate church, and the church of Madonna delle Grazie. An academy of sculpture was founded here by Napoleon, and many artists from abroad reside here to superintend the transport of marble, or to execute works of art. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the preparation of marble, which is obtained in the vicinity.
Carricaline, a parish of Ireland, in the county and 8 m. S. of Cork; pop. about 7,000. It contains fine marble and slate quarries. The village, on Owenboy river, possesses some archaeological interest on account of a ruined castle of the earls of Desmond, and the remains of a religious house and of a Danish fort in the vicinity. The church is a fine building in the perpendicular style. In a neck of the river near by Sir Francis Drake once took shelter, when hard pressed by a Spanish fleet.
Carron, a small river of Scotland, 14 m. long, rising between the friths of Forth and Clyde, and flowing into the frith of Forth, about 3 m. N. of Falkirk. About half a mile from the stream, near Falkirk, is the battle ground where the English defeated Wallace in 1298. The Carron was the boundary of the Roman empire, the wall of Antoninus running close to and parallel with it for several miles. In the early part of the 5th century many battles between the Romans and the Scots and Picts were fought near this river. The village of Carron, on its banks, is known for its large iron works, established in 1700, at which the kind of cannon called carronades was first constructed in 1779.
Carter Braxton, a signer of the Declaration of Independence, born at Newington, King and Queen co., Va., Sept. 10, 1736, died Oct. 10, 1797. He inherited several plantations, and in early life resided some years in England. In 1765 he took an active part in the session of the house of burgesses of Virginia, in which the resolutions of Patrick Henry were adopted, and in the subsequent assemblies which were dissolved by the governor. On Dec. 15, 1775, he was elected delegate to the continental congress, as successor of Peyton Randolph. He did not remain long in congress, but served in the legislature of Virginia till 1786, when he became one of the executive council.