Cascarilla (Span, cascara, bark), a medicinal bark, obtained from croton Elevtlicria, a small tree or shrub which grows wild in the West Indies and Bahama islands, especially on the island of Eleuthera. It has a spicy, bitter taste, and is used as a tonic. When burnt, it emits an odor so agreeable that smokers have sometimes mixed a small quantity of it with their tobacco, but this is very injurious.
Cascarilla (Croton Eleutheria).
Casco Bay, on the coast of Maine, lying between Cape Elisabeth and Cape Small Point, 20 m. apart. It contains several hundred small islands, some of which are favorite resorts during the summer season.
Caseine. See Cheese.
Casey, a central county of Kentucky, traversed by Green river and the Rolling fork of Salt river; area, 350 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 8,884, of whom 544 were colored. The surface is hilly and broken. The Cincinnati, Lexington, and East Tennessee railroad is to pass through it. The chief productions in 1870 were 16,773 bushels of wheat, 356,850 of Indian corn, 42,747 of oats, 116,841 lbs. of butter, 22,469 of wool, and 145,982 of tobacco. There were 2,780 horses, 1,972 milch cows, 2,954 other cattle, 12,047 sheep, and 19,240 swine. Capital, Liberty.
Casoria a town of Italy, 5 m. N. E. of Naples; pop. about 7,000. It is the birthplace of the painter Pietro Martino. It has four churches, and produces quantities of silk.
Caspar Wistar, an American physician, born in Philadelphia, Sept 13, 1761, died there, Jan. 22, 1818. He graduated M. D. at Edinburgh in 1786, and became professor of chemistry and physiology in the medical school of Philadelphia. From 1792 he was adjunct, and from 1808 till his death full professor of anatomy and surgery. From 1815 he was president of the American philosophical society. He published "A System of Anatomy" (2 vols. 8vo, Philadelphia, 1811).
Caspe, a town of Spain, in the province and 50 m. S. E. of Saragossa, near the confluence of the Guadalupe with the Ebro; pop. in 1867, 9,402. It has a castle, several convents, and four hospitals. In the neighborhood are extensive plantations of olive and mulberry trees. In 1412 a congress was held here of the Aragonians, Catalonians, and Valencians, to settle the succession to the throne.
Cassagnac. See Granier de Cassagnac.
Cassel, a town of France, department of Le Nord, on the railway from Lille to Dunkirk, 28 m. N. W. of Lille; pop. in 1866, 4,242. It is situated on an isolated hill 600 ft. high, commanding an extensive view, and has manufactories of lace, linen thread, and hosiery, breweries, tanneries, dye houses, and a considerable trade in cattle. It was the ancient capital of the Morini, and was known to the Romans as Castellum. It was strongly fortified during the middle ages. In 1071 Philip I. of France was defeated here by Robert the Frisian, count of Flanders; in 1328 Philip VI. won a complete victory over the Flemish troops; and in 1677 Philip, duke of Orleans, brother of Louis XIV., defeated here the prince of Orange.