Castelsarrasin, a town of France, in the department of Tarn-et-Garonne, 35 m. N. W. of Toulouse; pop. in 1866, 6,838. It has factories of hats, woollen goods, linen, and hosiery, and a large oil and saffron trade.
Castiglione. I. A village of Italy, near the lake of Gabii, 10 m. E. of Rome. It occupies the site of the ancient city of Gabii, and is rich in remains of antiquity. Old walls, portions of a temple of Juno, a Grecian theatre, and an aqueduct are among its most interesting ruins. II. A village of Italy, on the Sti-viere, near the Lago di Garda, 16 m. S. E. of Brescia. The vanguard of the Austrian army under Wurmser was defeated here, Aug. 3,1796, by the French under Augereau, and the main body two days later by Gen. Bonaparte. The battle of Solferino, June 24, 1859, was fought almost on the same ground.
Castine, a town and port of entry of Hancock co., Maine, on the E. bank of the Penobscot, 34 m. below Bangor; pop. in 1870, 1,303. It derives its name from the baron de Castine, a French nobleman, by whom it was settled in 1GG7, in company with a French colony, who afterward abandoned it in consequence of border wars with the Indians and English colonists. In 1700 it was settled by the English. It is situated on a peninsula, enclosing a spacious harbor always accessible to vessels of the largest class. Its inhabitants are chiefly engaged in ship building and fishing. For the year ending June 30, 1871, there were belonging to the port 347 vessels, of 23,997 tons; employed in the cod and mackerel fishery 148, of (3,100 tons; built 15, of 1,561 tons. It has a-state normal school and three churches.
Castle Carey, a market town and parish of Somersetshire, England, on the Great Western railway, 22 m. S. S. W. of Bath; pop. in 1871, 5,518. It contains a manor house in which Charles II. took refuge after the battle of Worcester.
Castle Of Chenonceaix. See Blere.
Castle Of Chillon, a fortress in the canton of Vaud, Switzerland, near the E. extremity of the lake of Geneva, on an isolated rock surrounded by deep water, and connected with the mainland by a wooden bridge. It was built according to some historians in 1120, and according to others in 1236 or 1238. It is not certain by whom it was built, but it is attributed by some writers to Amadeus IV. of Savoy. For many years it was a state prison. Bonnivard, prior of St. Victor, was confined here from 1530 to 1536. The place has been rendered famous by Byron's "Prisoner of Chillon." The castle is now used as an arsenal.
Castle of Chillon.
Castlebar, a town of Ireland, capital of county Mayo, at the N. end of a lake of the same name, 41 m. N. N. W. of Galway; pop. about 3,000. The principal street is a mile long, and it contains a square with handsome houses. It has a fine parish church, a Catholic chapel, a Wesleyan meeting house, several schools and hospitals, barracks for artillery and infantry, a court house, and a county jail. The principal trade is in agricultural products. Linen, linen yarn, and other articles are manufactured. The town was captured in 1798 by a French force under Gen. Humbert, who had landed at Killala bay; but they evacuated it shortly afterward, on the approach of the British under Lord Cornwallis.