Castri. See Delphi.
Castro Del Rio, a town of Spain, on the Guadajoz, in the province and 16 m. S. E. of Cordova; pop. about 9,000. The ancient part of the town is surrounded by a dilapidated wall with towers. The entrance is by a single gate, once defended by an Arab castle, now in ruins. The modern portion is outside the walls, and is well and handsomely built. There are two colleges and several schools, convents, chapels, and hospitals. It has manufactures of woollen and linen fabrics, and earthen ware, and a trade in wine, wheat, cattle, oil, honey, etc.
Casveen. See Casbin.
Caswell, a N. county of North Carolina, bordering on Virginia; area, 400 sq. m.; pop. in 1870,16,081, of whom 9,494 were colored. It is intersected by Hycootee river and County Line creek, affluents of Dan river. The surface is undulating, and the soil fertile. The Richmond, Danville, and Piedmont railroad crosses the N. W. corner. The. chief productions in 1870 were 80,597 bushels of wheat, 237/257 of Indian corn, 93,646 of oats, and 2,262,053 lbs. of tobacco. There were 1,543 horses, 2.126 milch cows, 1,984 other cattle, 2,765 sheep, and 9,175 swine. There were 5 manufactories of carriages and wagons, 2 of iron castings, 2 of chewing tobacco, and 9 flour mills. Capital, Yanceyville.
Cat's Eye, a semi-transparent variety of quartz penetrated by fibres of asbestus. It is commonly of a greenish gray color, though sometimes yellow, red, or brown. When polished, it reflects a pearly light resembling the pupil in the eye of a cat.
Catahoula, an E. central parish of Louisiana, bounded E. and S. E. by Tensas and Black rivers, S. and S. W. by the Saline; area, 1,970 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 8,475, of whom 4,083 were colored. Catahoula lake is in the S. part. It is watered by the Washita, Tensas, Black, and Little rivers, several of which are navigable by steamboats through the parish and on its borders. Near the Washita river the surface is partly occupied by hills. The soil in some parts is fertile, and lies upon a bed of sandstone. The chief productions in 1870 were 76,165 bushels of Indian corn, 6,528 of sweet potatoes, and 8,872 bales of cotton. There were 1,449 horses, 3,062 milch cows, 7,360 other cattle, 1,751 sheep, and 12,372 swine. Capital, Harrisonburg.
Catalysis (Gr. Kaтaλvειv, to resolve), in chemistry, a name given by Berzelius to an obscure class of phenomena of which little is positively known. He says: " Certain bodies exert, by their contact with others, such an influence upon these bodies, that chemical action is excited; compounds are destroyed or new ones are formed, although the substance by which these actions are induced does not take the slightest part in their changes." It is now thought that this catalytic force is purely imaginary; most of the phenomena which have hitherto been referred to its agency being occasioned by several different causes, which often admit of being distinguished from each other, and which may be explained by the active operation of other known forces.