Catoosa, a N. W. county of Georgia, bordering on Tennessee, and watered by affluents of the Tennessee river; area, 175 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 4,409, of whom 616 were colored. It is traversed by the Western and Atlantic railroad. The surface is hilly and partly covered with forests. The chief productions in 1870 were 43,366 bushels of wheat, 90,855 of Indian corn, 19,909 of oats, 40,879 lbs. of butter, and 96 bales of cotton. There were 542 horses, 834 milch cows, 1,225 other cattle, 2,447 sheep, and 4,399 swine. Capital, Ringgold.
Catskill, a village and the capital of Greene co., New York, situated on the \V. side of the Hudson river, about 110 m. above New York; pop. in 1870, 3,791. There are several churches, a court house, jail and some manufactories. It is the landing place tor visitors to the Catskill mountains, and a ferry here crosses the Hudson, connecting with the railroad on the eastern bank.
Cattegat, Or Kattegat, a large strait lying between Gothland in Sweden and Jutland, communicating with the North sea through the Skager Rack on the north, and with the Baltic through the Sound and the Great and Little Belts on the south; length 150 m.; breadth in the central part about 90 m. It is difficult of navigation, being not only shallow toward the shores and irregular in depth, but obstructed by several sand banks, one of which lies in the middle of the channel. The chief islands are Lseso, Anholt, and Samso.
Caucasia. See Caucasus.
Caucasian Race. See Ethnology.
Caudebec, a town of France, in the department of Seine-Inferieure, on the Seine, 26 m. E. of Havre; pop. in 1866, 9,184. The principal edifice is the parish church, a celebrated Gothic building in the florid style of the 15th century, with a spire 330 ft. high. It has manufactures of cotton and wool, and a brisk trade. It was formerly the capital of the Pays de Caux, but declined in consequence of the emigration of the Protestants after the revocation of the edict of Nantes. It was taken by the English in 1419, and by the Protestants in 1562. In 1592 it was besieged and taken by a Spanish force under Alexander Farnese, who received a wound beneath its walls which proved fatal.
Caura, a river of Venezuela, formed by the junction of the Yurani, Erevato, and Mare-guare. It unites with the Orinoco after a N. course of about 150 m.
Cauterets, a watering place of France, in the department of IIautes-Pyrenees, situated in a fertile basin 3,254 feet above the sea, and enclosed by rugged mountains, 20 m. S. by W. of Tarbes. It has 22 hot sulphur springs whose temperature varies from 102° to 140°. The permanent population is about 1,300; but the number of visitors reaches 15,000 a year.