Cayman. See Alligator.
Caymans, three small islands of the British West Indies, in the Caribbean sea, forming a dependency of Jamaica. They are low islands of coral formation, and two of them are barren and uninhabited. Grand Cayman, the largest, is 24 m. long by 2 1/2 broad, is covered with cocoanut trees, and has an anchorage on the S. W. side; pop. about 1,600. The inhabitants are bold sailors, and much employed as pilots. They also catch large numbers of turtles on their shore, to supply the markets of Jamaica.
Cayuga Lake, in the central part of New York, separates Cayuga from Seneca county, and extends S. into Tompkins county. It is about 38 in. long, and from 1 to 3 1/2 m. wide, end is navigable in all parts, but for about 6 m. from its N. extremity it is comparatively shallow. On advancing S. it becomes much deeper, and in some places is said to be unfathomable. It is rarely frozen over, except at the shallow portion. Its surface is 146 ft. above Lake Ontario, and 377 ft. above the sea. Its outlet is Seneca river on the north, which connects it with Seneca and Oneida lakes.
Cazalla De La Sierra, a town of Andalusia, Spain, in the province and 40 m. N. E. of Seville; pop. about 6,500. It contains numerous religious edifices, ruined villas, and Roman and Arabic antiquities.
Cazembe, a negro state in the interior of S. E. Africa, so called from the title of its sovereign. It is situated S. of Lake Tanganyika and E. of Muroque, but its boundaries are not precisely known. Recent travellers estimate the area at 120,000 sq. m., and the population at 500,000. The western part of the country consists of elevated plains. The most important river is the Luapula. The chief articles of trade are slaves, ivory, salt, and copper. The Ca-zembe resides in Lunda or Lucenda, a large town situated upon Lake Moero, lat. 9° 30' S., lon. 29° 16' E. The country was visited in 1831 by Gamitode Tete, a Portuguese. An account of his travels was published at Lisbon in 1854. Livingstone visited the country in 1867.
Cazexoyia, a town and village on a small lake of the same name in Madison co., New York; pop. of the town in 1870, 4,265; of the village, 1,718. It is the seat of a Methodist seminary, which in 1871 had 12 instructors, 555 pupils, and a library of 2,500 volumes.
Cazorla, a town of Andalusia, Spain, on the Vega, in the province and 44 m. E. N. E. of Jaen; pop. about 5,000. It is well built, in the form of an amphitheatre, on the sides of a mountain valley, and contains two spacious squares, one of which is adorned with a fine central fountain. It is defended by two old castles, one of them of Moorish origin, and has in its environs many gardens and public walks. Cazorla figured conspicuously in the Moorish contests of the 13th century. After repeated attempts it was taken and partly burned by the French in 1811.