Cezimbra, a seaport of Portugal, province of Estremadura, on the Atlantic, 20 m. S. of Lisbon; pop. about 5,000. There are considerable fisheries here. Under its walls Alfonso Henriquez in 1165 defeated the Moorish king of Badajos. About 8 m. W. of Cezimbra is the pilgrimage chapel of Nostra Senhora do Cobo, on the crest of Cape Espichel, the Pro-montorium Barbaricum of the Romans, from which there is a fine view northward of the rock of Lisbon, and southward of the whole of the Arrabida promontory between the mouths of the Tagns and the Sado, and of almost the whole W. coast of Alemtejo.
Cgrglla (Lat. corolla, a little crown), in botany, the inner of the two floral envelopes, forming the most showy part of the blossom, composed either of one entire piece, when it is monopetalous, or of several parts or leaves termed petals, when it is polypetalous. It is usually of delicate texture and bright color. It surrounds the stamens and pistil, and is surrounded by the calyx. Its principal function seems to be to protect the organs of fructification, which it at first completely encloses, and it withers and falls off when this service is no longer needed. The features of the corolla are important elements in all systems of botanical classification, and are the basis of Tournefort's.
Chablais, a former administrative division of the province of Annecy, Savoy, now forming the arrondissement of Thonon, in the department of Haute-Savoie, France; area, 356 sq. m.; pop. in 1866, 60,193. The Romans raised great numbers of horses in its fine mountain pastures, whence its name Caballica Provincia or Caballicus Ager, corrupted to Chablasium and Chablais. It formed part of the kingdom of Burgundy, and in the 11th century was given by the emperor Conrad to Humbert, first count of Savoy, one of whose descendants became count of Chablais in the 14th century. Under the first French empire it formed part of the department of Leman; in 1814 it was restored to Sardinia, and in 1800 was ceded with the rest of Savoy to France.
Chablis. See France, Wines of.
Chachapoyas (sometimes called San Juan de la Feontera), an inland town of Peru, capital of a province of the same name and of the department of Amazonas, 410 m. N. of Lima; lat. 6° 18' S., lon. 77° 25' W.; pop. about 6,000. It is situated on the banks of a river of the same name, a tributary of the Maranon, which waters the province. The surrounding districts produce tobacco and cotton, fruits. the European cereals, vegetables, etc., in abundance; cattle are raised in great numbers; and the people are chiefly occupied in agriculture, and the manufacture of leather, trunks, chairs, cigar cases, etc.
Chaetodon, a genus of spiny-rayed fishes, with compressed and scaly body, so named from their closely set rows of bristle-like teeth. The family to which they belong was formerly called squammipennes from the scaly character of the dorsal and anal fins; the mouth is small. They abound in tropical waters, on rocky shores, and are of brilliant colors, black, blue, green, and yellow being the prevailing hues; their flesh is good eating. In this genus, of a family containing nearly 20 genera and 150 species, the C. rostratus (Bl.), of Java, is remarkable for its faculty of ejecting drops of water from its elongated snout, so as to hit insects on the plants growing in the water and thus secure them as food; this it does with great precision. It is of a silvery hue, with five brownish bands.