Chambly, a S. W. county of the province of Quebec, Canada, bordering on the right bank of the river St. Lawrence, opposite the island of Montreal; area, 189 1/2 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 10,4i>8, of whom 9,755 were French. It is watered by the Richelieu and Montreal rivers, one being a continuation of the other, and contains an expansion of the Richelieu called the basin of Chambly, 2 m. in diameter, of nearly circular form, and interspersed with islands. On the W. side of the basin stands Fort Chambly, built by the French in 1711. In the southern part of the county there is a mountainous elevation. Chambly, sometimes erroneously supposed to imply wheat field, is the name of the original grantee of the seigniory. The Champlain and Montreal and the Grand Trunk railways and the Chambly canal traverse the county. Chief town, Chambly, on the Richelieu, 12 m. E. S. E. of Montreal.
Chambre Ardente, a name originally applied in France to courts hung with black, and lighted by torches, where criminals of the highest rank were tried. Subsequently any extraordinary court of law was called chamore ar-dente; as for instance the tribunal which in 1535 was established by Francis I. for the special purpose of trying heretics. Under Louis XIV. the chambres were opened in 1679 for the purpose of trying Mme, de Brinvilliers, and other prisoners, and were then also called cour des poisons; but in 1680, after the execution of Mine. Voisin, the chambres ardenies were again closed. The extraordinary courts under the regency (1716), where the trial of the farmers of the public revenue took place, and those instituted for the registration of the shares of John Law, the financier, were also known as chambres ardentes.
Chamomile (Gr. on the ground, and apple; anthemis nobilis, Linn.), a plant of the family compositeur indigenous in the south of England, and widely cultivated in gardens for medicinal use. Its leaves and daisy-like flowers emit a strong perfume when trodden upon. The flowers have long been famous as an aromatic bitter. A tepid infusion of them, known as chamomile tea, is often employed as an emetic. They are used externally as fomentations in colic and intestinal inflammation. Chamomile is naturalized in many parts of Europe, and in the state of Delaware. Anthemis cotula, wild chamomile, and Matricaria cha-momilla, German chamomile, a plant of the same family, have similar properties.
Champlain, a township forming the N. E. extremity of Clinton co., New York, on Lake Champlain, and a village 5 m. S. W. of Rouse's Point; pop. of the township in 1871, 5,080; of the village, 1,850. The village is situated on Chazy river, which supplies it with water power, and is connected by the Ogdensburgh and Lake Champlain railroad with Rouse's Point and Ogdensburgh. It is comprised in Champlain collection district, and has some trade, which is carried on by the Chazy river. The village contains several churches, an acad-emv, and manufactories of iron.