Chase, an E. central county of Kansas, watered by the Neosho river and its affluents: area, 757 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 1,975. The Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe railroad traverses it. The chief productions in 1870 were 47,201 bushels of wheat, 104,626 of Indian corn, 26,748 of oats, and 8,605 tons of hay. There were 1,189 horses, 1,201 milch cows, 4,730 other cattle, 1,255 sheep, and 585 swine. Capital, Cottonwood Falls.
Chasuble (low Lat. casuuula, from casvla, a hut), the outer vestment worn by Catholic priests in the celebration of mass. It was originally common to both civilians and churchmen, and consisted of a circular piece of cloth with an opening for the head in the centre. Those among the Greeks who have retained it call it very properly planeta, because it can be turned on every side by the wearer. It long retained its circular form in the British islands, as is evident from the iconographic monuments of the middle ages. At Rome, however, and throughout all the adjoining countries, it soon became modified, on account of its exceeding inconvenience. It was either slit or folded up beneath the arms of the celebrant; and finally it has assumed the form, which is now universal in the Latin church, of an oblong piece of silk with a hole in the middle for the head, and falling down to the knees before and behind. It must be of silk, and the color varies with the festivals.
Chateau-Gontier, a town of France, in the department of Mayenne, on the river Mayenne, 18 m. S. of Laval; pop. in 1866, 7,364. The town has a Gothic church, a communal college, public baths, and manufactures of linen, woollen, and leather. In October, 1793, the insurgent royalists gained here a great victory over the republicans.
Chateauguay, a S. W. county of the province of Quebec, Canada, bordering on the St. Lawrence, and traversed by the Chuteauguay, the Noire, and other streams; area, 249 1/2 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 16,166, of whom 11,288 were French, 2,496 Scotch, and 1,937 Irish. The soil is fertile and the surface presents little variety of level. The battle of Chateauguay or of Chrysler's farm was fought in this county, Oct, 26, 1813, between Col. de Salaberry of the Canadian voltigeurs and Gen. "Wilkinson of the American army, who intended to invade Canada by the Grand Isle which divides the river St. Lawrence opposite Coteau du Lac. The Canadians were victorious. Chief town, Ste. Martine.
Chateauroux, a town of France, capital of the department of Indre, on the left bank of the Indre and on the railway from Paris to Bordeaux, 160 m. S. S. W. of Paris; pop. in 1866, 17,161. It has a theatre and public library. There is an old castle on an eminence above the Indre, a gloomy building, in which the princess de Conde, niece of Richelieu, died in 1692, after having been imprisoned there for nearly 23 years. Chateauroux is one of the principal cloth manufacturing places of central France, the wools produced in Berry being almost exclusively used in the fabrication. There are various other manufactures, and important wool and iron fairs are held here. There is a government tobacco manufactory, in which 1,000 persons are employed.